Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

I only candled on day 7, because the mother was off the nest and I could check the eggs for viability. (Didn't want a rotten egg to go off in my house). Some people don't candle at all. I just removed a cracked egg and have left her alone since. The geese I have not candled at all. You can play it by ear with respect to the drake. Some drakes are aggressive, while others are fine with their ducklings. My drake has been helping defend his nest and very attentive to his family, so I am leaving everyone together at the moment.

If your drake is aggressive, then definitely separate them. It sounds like so far he has been very well behaved, so just watch how things go!

Ok I think I will close her off when the time is getting closer just to be sure, better safe than sorry!! And when you hatch ducks do you sell them on Craigslist at all? Because I plan on making this a business!! When duckings are born should I wait till they are dry before feeding or giving them water?

I think because it is so cold once they dry up I will immediately move them to a brooder!! To make sure they are not cold!!

I think because it is so cold once they dry up I will immediately move them to a brooder!! To make sure they are not cold!!
Here is the link for the broody thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread
You can see what everyone told me about my geese and the cold! (I wasn't sure if I should pull the eggs in this temperature and pop them in one of my incubators - everyone said no, and that the eggs and babies will be fine!)
smile.png

Still getting an egg a day here! I thought for sure she would of skipped a day by now and it's been cold too the last couple of days only hitting 32 for the high. I'm sorry for all of you who believe that is warm.

Still getting an egg a day here! I thought for sure she would of skipped a day by now and it's been cold too the last couple of days only hitting 32 for the high. I'm sorry for all of you who believe that is warm.
Sounds warm to me, heck I was out in low 20's this morning and it didn't feel so bad after last weeks minuses . Your duck will take a break once this egg cycle is done, days are getting longer now so egg laying is commencing. I got my first 2 in one day yesterday.
smile.png

Sounds warm to me, heck I was out in low 20's this morning and it didn't feel so bad after last weeks minuses . Your duck will take a break once this egg cycle is done, days are getting longer now so egg laying is commencing. I got my first 2 in one day yesterday.
smile.png
It's warming up here too! it hit 30 today!!! It felt like a heat wave! I went out to check on the birds in shorts, a T-shirt, and a pair of flip flops!!! Still had to climb over the snow drift that was higher than the porch railing to get into the yard to check the sheds for eggs though....

It's warming up here too! it hit 30 today!!! It felt like a heat wave! I went out to check on the birds in shorts, a T-shirt, and a pair of flip flops!!! Still had to climb over the snow drift that was higher than the porch railing to get into the yard to check the sheds for eggs though....

That will be me when it hits 50, but 30 is still coat and glove weather, lol. I wouldn't mind 30 though, after this below zero stuff we've been having.

Back
Top Bottom