Dangerous chickens?!

How about you don’t imply that people are bad parents because of accidents? OP knows now that the cockerels can’t be trusted, lay off and offer some helpful advice.
Thank you for that... This new behavior came out of nowhere so suddenly and i am taking all the necessary steps to prevent any injuries. I still feel sick inside from it - Accidents do happen... thanks so much for understanding. :)

I’m heart broken for you ... all that testosterone !!

I am worried about your kids , but I hope you know I’m not judging you ! My girls had a hamster in their room that they took into bed with them ??yes they both got bitten good , we do our best and that’s all we can do

Sorry for your bad luck OP. I would agree that upgrading their living space will make a world of difference; unfortunately overcrowding is a huge issue with chickens and most new owners aren’t aware of it. Those three cockerels probably aren’t going to get better as you know, I would order some more friendly sexed chicks while you figure out the coop situation.
We normally spend quite a bit of time outside with the chickens - (not anymore however!) and up until just this morning I only heard Snow crowing - now I was hearing an odd sound - it was Soot trying to crow!! (As if “she” knew the cats out of the bag.) “Soot” also tried dominance displays for the first time around me. It’s amazing how they have changed in a gradual buildup a matter of several days. I’m not use to the silkie breed yet and I thought since only one was crowing and they were all the same age when we brought them home that -he- was my only rooster.
Anyways, it’s such a shame how beautiful these birds are and we raised them from day old chicks now we must rehome them.

I’m heart broken for you ... all that testosterone !!

I am worried about your kids , but I hope you know I’m not judging you ! My girls had a hamster in their room that they took into bed with them ??yes they both got bitten good , we do our best and that’s all we can do
Oh my goodness!! Ouch! Thanks for understanding! As if parenting is not hard in itself you constantly feel the pressure to be a super-parent and never let your kids get hurt.

Yes!! All that testosterone!! It’s a shame having to rehome all three. I didn’t think my odds were that high ordering 3 straight run chicks that they’d ALL turn out as boys :(

As an aside, if you still want Silkies, consider ordering more at one time if they are straight run, and consider a different source too. It's only 50- 50 if large numbers are involved, like 100 or so.
Nearly no hatcheries try to sex bantam chicks, so SR may be your only choice.
Why not try another breed? There are so many choices!!!
Mary

Yes , I bought mine from a breeder , I paid a little more but I got hens ! Worth it to me

I love my silkies , they “ talk” when I carry them out to the tractor each morning , we added Carlos a rooster . Yes he’s a bit confrontational but when I hear him call the girls over or makes sure he’s between them and me ( the big enemy ), I’m so proud of him .

Here’s Carol and Carlos they are nattering to each other like an old married couple
E822D8B5-450D-48FF-BFFF-12DD1E757F98.jpeg

Three cockerels - gah! :tongue
I sympathise. I recently had a hatch of three chicks who have turned out to be all little boys. They are now 8 weeks old and all started crowing this week. :th

View attachment 1510932 I have 6 silkies and I just adore my babies out of the 6 .Two ended up being roos but they never fight and sound adorable when they crow in the morning I raised my silkies with my polish and also have white leghorns and black sexlinks and sapphire gems and americaunas .One of my silkies loves my 14yr daughter she brings her in every now and then and she snuggles with her its adorable I love their personalities and watching them keep up with the bigger birds ☺☺ one of my white leghorns likes to squeak its adorable so i call it squeaks
20180807_063446.jpg
20180510_160430.jpg
Message_1530216759174.jpg
20180812_213357.jpg

Back
Top Bottom