Dangers of letting my birbs free-range?

Goofy-Ahh-Birbs

Hatching
Mar 4, 2023
Hey guys, I need help figuring this out.
I have a flock of six: 2 chickens, 2 guineas, (unfortunately I didn't know they weren't chickens cause I'm an idiot and didn't do my research...) and 2 ducks.
The first four birds share a coop with a run, but they've gotten bigger now and they like to be outside and they seem restless in there sometimes so I try to let them out when I can. I'd love to let them free-range instead, however in my previous attempt at keeping chickens, i let them free-range and one was taken by a hawk while I wasn't there. Obviously I never want that to ever happen again, so I'm very hesitant to let my birbs free-range, but it seems like many people online let them be outside whenever. Also, unfortunately my ducks and the other four birds don't get along great. The ducks have their own coop but if I let them outside at the same time as the others, the ducks/guineas get sort of defensive and might try to attack each other if im not looking, so thatd be another problem if I let them all free-range. What should I do? Just try to let them out and watch over them as much as I can?
Thanks a ton for your time/help.

Hey guys, I need help figuring this out.
I have a flock of six: 2 chickens, 2 guineas, (unfortunately I didn't know they weren't chickens cause I'm an idiot and didn't do my research...) and 2 ducks.
The first four birds share a coop with a run, but they've gotten bigger now and they like to be outside and they seem restless in there sometimes so I try to let them out when I can. I'd love to let them free-range instead, however in my previous attempt at keeping chickens, i let them free-range and one was taken by a hawk while I wasn't there. Obviously I never want that to ever happen again, so I'm very hesitant to let my birbs free-range, but it seems like many people online let them be outside whenever. Also, unfortunately my ducks and the other four birds don't get along great. The ducks have their own coop but if I let them outside at the same time as the others, the ducks/guineas get sort of defensive and might try to attack each other if im not looking, so thatd be another problem if I let them all free-range. What should I do? Just try to let them out and watch over them as much as I can?
Thanks a ton for your time/help.
This is a lot.. predators are smart. Know your area well and what you are dealing with. I have no hawk issues because like the above post I keep them under tree cover mostly. They enjoy it but do venture out. The more freedom the greater the risk. I have livestock guardian dogs and still had raccoon make it on top of coop and get in. Luckily they alerted and I was able to shoot it.

Depends where you are. My old place was almost an acre next to freeway overpass and I never had hawk problems so the girls were always out. Where I am now we have hawks and raccoons so they get a couple hours in the evening sometimes

There is no simple answer to this. Some people, urban or rural, can let their chickens free range with very little or no problems. Some people can go years without an attack. Others can get wiped out almost immediately. Any time you let them out they are at risk. There are things you can do to improve your odds but you don't get guarantees. Different people on this forum have reported a fox or a hawk taking a bird when that person was withing 15 feet. I was able to let mine free range in the country without big problems until people abandoned dogs out there. After losing 13 chickens in two dog attacks I changed my practices.

As risk adverse as you sound my suggestion is to not try it. I'd build a separate run.

I think I went 2 years free range didn’t lose a single bird. Once predators find you it’s like they all find you. Fencing fixed a lot of coyote and fox issues mixed with livestock dogs. That’s a massive investment though for just chickens. Chickens get out and over everything. I agree an enclosed run sounds best for you.

I unfortunately also lost one of my ducks prior to a racoon or land predator one night, and there are always birds of prey out, so theres definitely a ton of them here. I only really have one tree to cover them as well. So I'm thinking my area isn't very suited for it. Im guessing those who do let them out live in more predator-free areas. I mean, my last birds did fine for a few months until one was attacked but still. I guess I'll just keep supervising them when I taking them out or invest into a larger run.

The type of bird it is also matters. Certain ones blend in well with brush. Some are just stupid and not predator aware. Others are faster. If you go into it knowing what you want your flock to be that helps you pick birds that match how you are going to raise them.

Back
Top Bottom