free ranging questions

Jan 20, 2024
i have about 17 chickens (16 hens and 1 rooster) we have been free ranging them but alot of the time we see hawks poking around. I could just put them in the coop but i feel like they deserve to have time outside and free. do you have any suggestions on how to keep predators away or making them coop a entertaining place for them?

Depending on the breed if you have enough places for them to duck and hide they should be fine. Even a two foot bush can completely foil a hawk attack. It's big empty areas such as fields that get chickens killed

I would recommend having bushes (or A frames, etc.) at least every five feet in the areas where your chickens hang out, and you can also hang invisible fishing line around in the air between trees that will ruin hawk attacks

Be sure they have cover to hide in like trees bushes etc. they should have a few options for if they have to scatter.

ok thanks! they do free range around woods that they go into but its the middle of winter so there are no leaves, do you think that will affect the hawks seeing them?
Hawks swoop in, take their prey, and swoop back out. They wouldn't maneuver in a woods.
We're next to a forest too and through the years picked up several large wind spinners and solar motion lights. We get something new every year and move them around.

The mention of fishing line by @Red Mangrove is an excellent idea too. Just be sure to string it far above yours or anyone else's heads.

We also have two dogs that keep the varments away, a border collie and a corgi, so not your typical LGDs, but they do the job just as well.

i have about 17 chickens (16 hens and 1 rooster) we have been free ranging them but alot of the time we see hawks poking around. I could just put them in the coop but i feel like they deserve to have time outside and free. do you have any suggestions on how to keep predators away or making them coop a entertaining place
i have about 17 chickens (16 hens and 1 rooster) we have been free ranging them but alot of the time we see hawks poking around. I could just put them in the coop but i feel like they deserve to have time outside and free. do you have any suggestions on how to keep predators away or making them coop a entertaining place for them?
I put netting over my hens entirely that’s connected to their run and coop. They aren’t allowed to free range anymore we have so many red tails in our area we live in rural Michigan. Our neighbors chicken got killed by one a few weeks ago and that’s when I decided to not let mine have access to open space anymore without netting its too risky. Hawks are extremely smart predators and are relentless. They will keep coming around if they know the chickens aren’t protected.

Depending on the breed if you have enough places for them to duck and hide they should be fine. Even a two foot bush can completely foil a hawk attack. It's big empty areas such as fields that get chickens killed

I would recommend having bushes (or A frames, etc.) at least every five feet in the areas where your chickens hang out, and you can also hang invisible fishing line around in the air between trees that will ruin hawk attacks
Would invisible fishing line be bad for other birds?

My advise is learn about the predators that eat chickens in your area so you're better prepared how to protect them. Everything eats chickens! I lock my chickens up when I hear the crows sound alerts of a hawk (they're louder than my roosters!) Training your chickens to come when you call or give commands is easy with food and can save their life(makes them easier to lock up)

Back
Top Bottom