Dark Brahma Hen or Rooster

jpoe001

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
Hello,

I have a four month old dark brahma that was supposed to be a hen, but I've suspected he was a cockerel for some time. But I want to be certain before I have to let him or one of the other roosters go, please help.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

At four months, I would guess pullet. You can ask here and you'll probably get lots more responses! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Welcome to BYC. 85 % certain that he is a cockerel. Wait a bit (until feathering becomes more evident) before culling him.

Hi jpoe001 and
welcome-byc.gif

That looks like a boy. Brahmas age slowly so it can take some time to be sure, but by now I am seeing a black breast, white back and large pea comb= boy. Girls look more grey from a distance and if you zoom in on the feathers they will be a steel grey with very distinct pencilings (lines or bands or rings of black around and inside the feather base color) and are rather uniformly colored except for the hackle/neck which appear more of a white and black penciled.

I have never had a Brahma roo, but the ladies are super friendly and very sweet!

He is 100% dark brahma cockerel. Females and male brahmas have very different patterns and his all male!

Here is a female at around the same age as your male

Edited for picture

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom