Dark Cornish and White Rock cross. (meat project)

OK guys and gals here are the offspring of my Dark Cornish Rooster, Big Boy and his White Rock and Amberlink ladies. I did the Dark Cornish with the White Rock to see if I can get a decent meat bird, I hope that they will mature in 4 to 6 months but only time will tell. I did the Dark Cornish and Amberlink cross because I like the very large dark brown eggs that the Amberlink lay, and yes I know that they are hybrids and there is no telling what I will get but I figured what the heck it wont hurt to see. Here is Big Boy and his ladies.

Here are the chicks, the yellow ones are off the Amberlink hens and the rest are off the White Rocks.

There are 29 in all, still 7 eggs in the incubator, I am still hopeful that they will hatch as it is day 21. I'll leave them in there untill day 23 then see what happens.

So tell me what ya'll think, I though that the ones that are off the Rocks would all turn out yellow so they would be white but I guess they took after their father more which will be good if they have the Dark Cornish meat characteristics.

great work, heading to SC this week, I wish I had an incubator would have bought some eggs from you to hatch. They look good and the growth in your other post looks promising.

Loc20chick they have a healthy appetite and are growing like weeds, yesterday they turned 4 weeks old and I had to open the door and let them out into there run. What part of SC are you visiting?

I though that the ones that are off the Rocks would all turn out yellow so they would be white but I guess they took after their father more which will be good if they have the Dark Cornish meat characteristics.

There are two kinds of white in chickens- dominant white, and recessive white.

If you cross a dominant white chicken with a colored one, the chicks will be white.

Your white rocks are recessive white, so when you cross those with a colored chicken, the chicks will be colored.

Never been there Loc20chick, I'm close to Myrtle Beach, but I'm glad you are enjoying your stay in SC.

Back
Top Bottom