Dark Cornish - Tractor Only?

There is simply not enough protein available for any bird in most tractor situations no matter how often you move it. Even birds that are free-ranged 24/7 need some supplemental feed in most parts of the country for most of the year.
That's what I had initially thought. :/

Oh well. Thanks for the confirmation everyone.

Hi everyone, I am reading upon Dark Cornishas as we got 5 of them. We purchased a rainbow pack from a hatchery mainly for egg layers. I am starting to realized based on what I am seeing and reading is that they are costly and not really worth the effort. I came across this forum and there are people out there who posted that they tractor Cornish as their main feeding source, along with some supplemental feed. It is a forum for on Permaculture but they have a section for chickens. Thought the link might be helpful.

http://www.permies.com/forums/jforu...type=all&sort_by=time&search_keywords=Cornish

Last edited:
From my perspective you have to remember that chickens are a monogastric, they can not convert grass into usable energy like cattle for example. Fresh vegetative grass will have 20% protein, however if the birds system is not designed to utilize it. Many people talk about protein levels in chicken feed you really need to talk about amino acid balance and energy densities. Because a majority of the energy in grass is found in the form of cellulose and hemicellulose the birds just can't break it down. It is like telling you to survive on iceberg lettuce.1

Well let me tell you tractor only is a strong word, it is possible to raise chickens in general out of a tractor only environment but if you want large healthy birds you WILL have to supply your cornish with atleast a little bit of pellets or some other high protein food or supplement :/

As am I. Sorry I didn't explain better.my brooder is 4 x 8. I DON'T think its large enough for the 31 CHICKS that will arrive this week. ERGO, IN MY OPINION a tractor can't be built large enough for prolonged housing. That's my OPINION. Happy. Would you like to see the order number for the chickens? It was my beleif these threads were to share experiences and information.Since this is not the case with this thread I will unfollow said thread.

Back
Top Bottom