Darn it - it looks like it was my dog... *New suspect*

The way this winter is going
barnie.gif
, that may be a while.

Hate to do it but I have to second the bird of prey theory for your latest chicken death. The puncture wound on your rooster is very likely from the back hallux of a bird of prey. Often when attacking raptors go for the head to control their prey. The crime scene also sounds very typical of a bird of prey. I am sorry for your loss.

Hate to do it but I have to second the bird of prey theory for your latest chicken death. The puncture wound on your rooster is very likely from the back hallux of a bird of prey. Often when attacking raptors go for the head to control their prey. The crime scene also sounds very typical of a bird of prey. I am sorry for your loss.
Actually, I'm glad to hear it since the other option was my dog... (I didn't think so, but DH was convinced it was him)

I once had a Campine rooster put it's spur into another rooster's head, killed the other rooster almost immediately.

@Campine

That sounds like a pretty brutal and definitive blow for your rooster. I have been around very few roosters so I am unfamiliar with their behavior. Is that typical or do you think it is a learned behavior? Has the rooster every tried to repeat that kind of behavior since it successfully ended a fight? How was the rooster's behavior around people? Hens? Any insights you would care to share are appreciated. I find animal behavior (nature vs nurture) fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom