Day 12 of incubation... air cell too small....?

I've not hatched either of those, but I have several friends who have, and they swear by absolutely no water for them. As low on humidity as possible. Of course, still watch air cells, but those dark eggs are tough!

One friend even hatched BCM's without adding any water in the last 3 days either! (I wouldn't necessarily advise this!!) but she said the breeder that she got the eggs from said "trust me, no water".... and she had a great hatch. BUT... that was in Louisiana, humid. Another friend in SC hatches them at 25%, then 60-70% for last 3 days.

Oh, and if you want to do dark eggs, find the best, highest lumens flashlight you can find. I have a Mini-mag lite, I think its 325 lumens. The higher you can find the better. And with fresh batteries, it will make a world of difference in candling.

Here's what I did to mine. Just a piece of craft foam with a hole cut in it, taped around the flashlight.

Every question I ask, leads to more information then I set out for and I think I get the conversations off track fast! But it's awesome! I just learned about hatching my future BCM eggs (I think I'm going to start with the way your friend in SC is doing hers). I'll get on Amazon for a better flashlight and check out the headlamp recommendation. And even more... thanks to your photo, that's the first I've heard of detached air cells! I'll have to double check mine when I candle next, hadn't even heard of that. So much information, and so appreciated.

Detached air cells can happen in shipping. They don't hatch well. I got a dozen eggs shipped in, 5 air cells were detached (meaning it floats around the entire egg instead of being anchored in the fat end) Only the one pictured started growing, but it quit on day 8.

Back
Top Bottom