Day 18 and air cells are small

CocoPopz

Songster
7 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Sheffield UK
I set 6 eggs in my incubator 5 of which have developed, 1 unsure as haven't seen it move in the last few days and only little veins, others look good apart from their air cell, it looks way to small to me, in the last 18 days I've been filling my water tray, which I've always done, my humidity tester had broke and haven't had chance to buy one so it's been a guessing game, then I thought if they're small that means they have too much humidity, am I right? Do today just before lockdown, I emptied by water tray and then opened 3 vent holes, hoping that by tomorrow their air cells have got bigger, is this wrong? Should I carry on filling my tray? Or leave them dry knowing they've had more than enough humidity and see what their air cells come out like, the temp is now varying from 37.5-37.9 it had be varying from 37.6-38.2 during the 18 days.
What should I do

I set 6 eggs in my incubator 5 of which have developed, 1 unsure as haven't seen it move in the last few days and only little veins, others look good apart from their air cell, it looks way to small to me, in the last 18 days I've been filling my water tray, which I've always done, my humidity tester had broke and haven't had chance to buy one so it's been a guessing game, then I thought if they're small that means they have too much humidity, am I right? Do today just before lockdown, I emptied by water tray and then opened 3 vent holes, hoping that by tomorrow their air cells have got bigger, is this wrong? Should I carry on filling my tray? Or leave them dry knowing they've had more than enough humidity and see what their air cells come out like, the temp is now varying from 37.5-37.9 it had be varying from 37.6-38.2 during the 18 days.
What should I do
If your air cells are too small then yes, it means the humidity has been too high and not enough moisture has left the egg. IN MY OPINION: If they are significantly smaller than they should be I would lockdown a day late (day 19 instead of 18) if there are no chicks pipping and leave it dry. Then at the end of day day 19 I would commence with lockdown and upping the humidity for hatch. At this late in the hatch there's not a whole lot you can do to rectify it. I always recommend that no matter what method a person is using (standard incubation or dry incubation) that they candle their eggs (at least) at the 3 designated days and check air cells. It's easier to rectify at day 7 or 14 than at day 18 when you are preparing to go into lockdown. Hope everything works out for you and it isn't too much of an issue.

Question I have been on lock down since last night it is 100 f and 59%f how much do I put in to stay safe also do I take out the one red plug one is out one is in

Question I have been on lock down since last night it is 100 f and 59%f how much do I put in to stay safe also do I take out the one red plug one is out one is in
How much water??? At this point (lockdown) you want your humidity up. While the recommendation is AT LEAST 65% for lockdown and hatch I personally strive for 75% as I feel 65% is a tad low, especially if the need arises to have to open the bator. I fill up my water wells and place a couple wet sponges in at lockdown to get the humidity up. As for plugs, both plugs should be out for lock/down hatch. I actually have both of mine out for the entire hatch.

Last edited:
So you advise I still turn them tonight and leave them dry then tomorrow night add water and lockdown? Should I take some pictures for you of my air cells

None have pipped and these are pics. They're small eggs and by the looks of it they have got a little bigger and I don't have a very good egg candler and my camera doesn't help but veins and movement are very clear in person, can't see it as such on my pictures but pretty sure the air cell is clear enough, they're a few silkie eggs and small-medium dark shelled eggs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom