Day 18 and suddenly I'm worried.......

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
I have not moved them to the hatcher yet, because I am still fussing with the stinking temperature and humidity
tongue.gif

I had the temp at 100 for 2 days and now I am struggling to get it to 99. I have 3 thermometers and a hygrometer in there. I just added more water and a sponge.
Unfortunately this is a Hova Still AIr I am using for hatching, my other one is circulated.
Whats the minimum temp can be in the hatcher? Also I think one of the 6 is dead, it is way smaller than the others and I have not seen movement at all, I set it away from the others in the turner and wondering if I should just trash it when I move them.
Also I do move today not tomorrow on 19, right??????

For still air, usually 101-102 is the proper range, I believe. It's higher than circulated air, but Im not sure if people lower that going from a circ air to still air to hatch. Move them anytime today or even the start of Day 19.

It is 99.9 on one thermometer, it is an expensive digital that actually was in my LR, it has always been pretty accurate. I finally got the humidity up to 70
wink.png

Now if I can get the temp up slightly I will be good to go. Maybe by the time I am done in the barn it will have itself straight.
Do you think I should go ahead and trash the questionable egg? I am pretty certain it is dead, just does not look right.

If you're really sure it looks completely different than the others, then go with your gut and trash it. On the other hand if it does not smell or seep, it's unlikely to be a problem for a bit longer, and you could leave it in if there's any doubt. My gut is usually right, after many hatches and candlings, and yours probably is, too.

Ohhh i can feel with you . I just did turn my eggs for the last time. All sudden there was that temp drop and it wouldnt get up. i figured it takes some time to heat the water i just added up to bator temp.

The stoopid accurite with probe says 97.3......
lau.gif
I have not been able to locate a water wiggler within the 4,000 plus Wal-Marts, Dollar Stores, Convience Stores that I have visited.
he.gif

My expensive digital, which has always been accurate says 100.3 and so does the cheap old fashined thermometer that came with the bator, so I have to believe the 100.3 is the right temp. Humidity right now is 67, I just added a little more water to try to get 70.
I originally set these eggs about 5:30pm. so I guess if I can get the temp/humidity stabilized in the next few hours I can move them and feel comfortable.
Of course once they are moved the real anxiety begins
barnie.gif

I have some Gold Phoenix that will be shipped next week, so I think I will go ahead and order one, also planning on ordering a fan to upgrade my bator so both are circulating.
I am still in search of a better light, I bought one at HD for $25.00 it is 65 lumens and still not bright enough
th.gif

That thermometer wont stay on a full incubation term on one battery-it's meant to be turned off when not in use, like at night, to save the battery. You can get one at Cutler Supply with four extra batteries for about $24 plus shipping, I think. Still, for that accuracy, its well worth it!

Back
Top Bottom