Day 22 Call Duck Hatching

Pics
Int to ext pip 24-48hrs is normal. For me I don't do anything until external pipping. Then each phase gets 24 hrs. If ext pipped and no progress for 24 hrs, I carefully enlarge the pip hole only along the air cell where there are no blood vessels. Assess for energy and effort. Keep the membranes moist. It can take a long time to absorb the yolk so I don't rush things. If the chick is moving and peeping, I let him work. But if he seems stuck at a phase for more than 24 hrs, I help a little. A little chipping here, enlarge the pip a little there...slow and gradual.

Int to ext pip 24-48hrs is normal. For me I don't do anything until external pipping. Then each phase gets 24 hrs. If ext pipped and no progress for 24 hrs, I carefully enlarge the pip hole only along the air cell where there are no blood vessels. Assess for energy and effort. Keep the membranes moist. It can take a long time to absorb the yolk so I don't rush things. If the chick is moving and peeping, I let him work. But if he seems stuck at a phase for more than 24 hrs, I help a little. A little chipping here, enlarge the pip a little there...slow and gradual.

x2 on everything except I'll do a safe hole closer to 20-24 hours after internal pip for call ducks.

I HATCHED A BABY DUCK!!!!!!!!! 2 actually. I am too excited. My first ever call duck incubation was a semi success. I had to help one baby out this morning. It had not progressed in 24 hours, seemed to be a little large in the egg. They are both out now. The other had hatched in the night last night and was already fluffy. I cannot get home from work fast enough. I will get good pics tonight. This was just one I grabbed this morning. Look at that tiny bill. The one pictured was out of the cracked egg from a few weeks ago. So over the moon. I will be setting at least 8 more eggs tonight I think. This was 2 out of 4. I had tossed 2 early on with no development. There is a chance they might not have been fertile so I am please I got these 2.

29664121_1838426752867827_2103141532_n.jpg

I HATCHED A BABY DUCK!!!!!!!!! 2 actually. I am too excited. My first ever call duck incubation was a semi success. I had to help one baby out this morning. It had not progressed in 24 hours, seemed to be a little large in the egg. They are both out now. The other had hatched in the night last night and was already fluffy. I cannot get home from work fast enough. I will get good pics tonight. This was just one I grabbed this morning. Look at that tiny bill. The one pictured was out of the cracked egg from a few weeks ago. So over the moon. I will be setting at least 8 more eggs tonight I think. This was 2 out of 4. I had tossed 2 early on with no development. There is a chance they might not have been fertile so I am please I got these 2.

View attachment 1314231

Wooooohoooooosa! :wee :clap :ya :yesss: :celebrate

Congrats!

I lock down 15 tonight or tomorrow (will check them this evening) and have another 15 that have started strong.

I think we have internally pipped. How soon should I expect external pips and when should I begin to worry about assisting?
I would give them the full time to hatch on their own before assisting. If they have externally pipped I would remove some of the shell and keep the membrane moist with a q tip. Give them the opportunity to come out the rest of the way on their own. This way you make sure they are totally absorbed. If they are trying hard and can't get out I would assist a little more.

Back
Top Bottom