day 24 and ducks have pipped?

ppimf

Songster
7 Years
Nov 15, 2012
ellis kansas
i'm on day 24 with ducks and they have allready started to break the shell? how is this possible. all eggs are doing this my temps have been 99 to 100 humidty was 40 to 45. please help me figure out what i did wrong

You think your temperatures were in that range. Are you absolutely positively sure they were?

There are a lot of things that can cause eggs to be early or late other than incubating temperature. Heredity, humidity, how and how long they were stored before you started incubation, even relative size of the eggs can play a part. Average incubating temperature is the big one but not the only one.

I’ve had chicken eggs under a broody hatch a couple of days early more than once and the weather was not overly hot. I think that was a combination of heredity and they were smaller than normal eggs. They may have been stored a bit warm before I started them too.

If you counted your days right you are early. An egg pipping a full day early is not unusual at all, but yes, four days early is too much. I’ve had chicken eggs pipping in the incubator when I went into lockdown and they still hatched. I think that was a combination of the incubator being a bit warm and heredity. I calibrated the thermometer and it was not off that much.

I did not see your entire process from when you started storing the eggs until they pipped. I can’t tell you for sure what happened.

Back
Top Bottom