Katherine Arts

Chirping
Mar 3, 2023
Osan, South Korea
Hello,
I am hatching eggs and this isn't my first time, however, I have 3 live eggs (I candled them) in my incubator. They were refrigerated for 13 days, but when I candled them I had 3 duds and 3 living eggs. I threw away the duds and continued incubating the living eggs, candled them and they are still alive. They have been developing and growing. When I candled them, I saw chicks moving around! I candled them again on day 20 and they were still alive, but no internal pip. One pipped today, but I don't know when and it's not chirping. It hasn't pipped any more in the last 2 1/2 hours, what should I do??? Is it dead or alive??? If it's alive then should I help it???

Hello,
I am hatching eggs and this isn't my first time, however, I have 3 live eggs (I candled them) in my incubator. They were refrigerated for 13 days, but when I candled them I had 3 duds and 3 living eggs. I threw away the duds and continued incubating the living eggs, candled them and they are still alive. They have been developing and growing. When I candled them, I saw chicks moving around! I candled them again on day 20 and they were still alive, but no internal pip. One pipped today, but I don't know when and it's not chirping. It hasn't pipped any more in the last 2 1/2 hours, what should I do??? Is it dead or alive??? If it's alive then should I help it???
It internal pip or external ?

Hello,
First and foremost, did you count the first day of incubation? The first 24 hours counts as 0, the following day is day 1.
If you counted the first day of incubation, then they are actually a day behind what you thought.
Is your thermometer calibrated? If not you can also expect a late hatch as the temp is probably off slightly.

It can take 12-24 hour after external pip for them to zip. A couple hours isn't concerning at all. No need to intervene yet.
I will link the Assisted hatching article so you can have a read, it will tell you all you need to know regarding timelines and asssisting but feel free to ask if theres anything at all you arent sure about. For now, try to sit on your hands and give him more time, he's llikely absborbing yolk.

Any update for today?

Back
Top Bottom