Day 25 Chicken hatching issues

Thanks that’s really helpful, I followed all the instructions pretty rigidly however I guess to start with I only had half a dozen eggs. Looking back I also think that I should have turned them more often and only allowed then to rest overnight before setting. I do have a thermometer so I checked a couple of tunes against the Brinsea but perhaps for my next hatch it would be a good idea to invest in a hydrometer too. The incubator was brand new. I agree about what you say about their origins. As shipped eggs bought online there is a certain éliment of not knowing what condition their flock was in too. Thanks for the advice 🙏

I think if you try to hatch local eggs, you might find you have a much better result - I suspect it might be the eggs that are giving you all the trouble. A spare thermometer and hygrometers are always good to have. Good luck in the future!

I think if you try to hatch local eggs, you might find you have a much better result - I suspect it might be the eggs that are giving you all the trouble. A spare thermometer and hygrometers are always good to have. Good luck in the future!
Yes I think so too! thank you 😊

I just hatched 4 Swedish hen chicks on day 20 in my DIY incubator, 3 more to go.

Attachments

• P6120011.JPG
    P6120011.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P6120005.JPG
    P6120005.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P6120010.JPG
    P6120010.JPG
    452.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks.

My last batch all didn't make it cause I couldn't regulate the temp on still air incubation and all the eggs got cooked.
Btw all eggs I incubate are all shipped. I usually have 50/50 to 90/10 percent hatch. It's really important to rest the eggs after shipping, turning them every now and then, till the inside content has totally settled. That can take six hours to 3 days, before you incubate. makes a huge difference on hatching.
Hope that helps.

Thanks.

My last batch all didn't make it cause I couldn't regulate the temp on still air incubation and all the eggs got cooked.
Btw all eggs I incubate are all shipped. I usually have 50/50 to 90/10 percent hatch. It's really important to rest the eggs after shipping, turning them every now and then, till the inside content has totally settled. That can take six hours to 3 days, before you incubate. makes a huge difference on hatching.
Hope that helps.
Oh no! I think that could have been something which would have given me a better hatch rate. I rested them - probably for about 12 hours before I put them in the incubator so it sounds like I could have given them longer to set correctly. Thanks for this information it really does give me some hope about trying another incubation with shipped eggs. It seems quite difficult to find local eggs in France without driving for hours and I am particularly interested in starting a small breeding flock of a fancy type chicken as an interest. Therefore my only real way to do this is to buy shipped eggs. Sounds like you have had some good experiences with yours and does give me some encouragement!

+1 to the above. Shipped eggs are very dicey to hatch. I consider 33% hatch rate on shipped eggs to be normal, and even less then that is quite common. Even if they make it to lockdown, I've had hatching issues due to odd shaped air sacs and the eggs getting so jumbled in transit. In contrast, when I hatch eggs from my own flock, I get 90% to 100% hatch rates and almost no hatching issues. The deformity also makes me wonder about the quality of the eggs and breeder.

That being said, putting a properly calibrated thermometer to check the factory setting in your incubator always good advice.

If you don't know already, here is how you calibrate a thermometer:
  1. Fill a glass with ice cubes, then top off with cold water.
  2. Stir the water and let sit for 3 minutes.
  3. Stir again, then insert your thermometer into the glass, making sure not to touch the sides.
  4. The temperature should read 32°F (0°C). Record the difference and offset your thermometer as appropriate.

+1 to the above. Shipped eggs are very dicey to hatch. I consider 33% hatch rate on shipped eggs to be normal, and even less then that is quite common. Even if they make it to lockdown, I've had hatching issues due to odd shaped air sacs and the eggs getting so jumbled in transit. In contrast, when I hatch eggs from my own flock, I get 90% to 100% hatch rates and almost no hatching issues. The deformity also makes me wonder about the quality of the eggs and breeder.

That being said, putting a properly calibrated thermometer to check the factory setting in your incubator always good advice.

If you don't know already, here is how you calibrate a thermometer:
  1. Fill a glass with ice cubes, then top off with cold water.
  2. Stir the water and let sit for 3 minutes.
  3. Stir again, then insert your thermometer into the glass, making sure not to touch the sides.
  4. The temperature should read 32°F (0°C). Record the difference and offset your thermometer as appropriate.
That’s a really interesting point re the calibrating thank you- I will give it a try on the next hatch 🐣

Oh no! I think that could have been something which would have given me a better hatch rate. I rested them - probably for about 12 hours before I put them in the incubator so it sounds like I could have given them longer to set correctly. Thanks for this information it really does give me some hope about trying another incubation with shipped eggs. It seems quite difficult to find local eggs in France without driving for hours and I am particularly interested in starting a small breeding flock of a fancy type chicken as an interest. Therefore my only real way to do this is to buy shipped eggs. Sounds like you have had some good experiences with yours and does give me some encouragement!
I am surprised you cannot find local hatching eggs in France, even if they are not the breed you desire. I think many people raise chickens (with a rooster) in the country in France, yes??

Do you know any local farmers or breeders (of anything) who would sell some hatching eggs? The ones with small operations would be more likely to sell eggs.

The Label Rouge farms and high-end probably maintain closed flocks.

Back
Top Bottom