Day 4 candling - signs of life (and not)

0wen

Songster
Mar 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I currently have 6 eggs in my Brinsea mini advanced. I'm on day 4 and found development in 3/6. This is my first hatching and just wondering if it's safe to dispose of the 3 that have no signs of life or should I give them a day or two to see if anything develops?

I currently have 6 eggs in my Brinsea mini advanced. I'm on day 4 and found development in 3/6. This is my first hatching and just wondering if it's safe to dispose of the 3 that have no signs of life or should I give them a day or two to see if anything develops?
I would not throw any out until at least day 7-10.

Ditto the above. Wait a few more days before you discard anything. I've had eggs show no sign of development until right before they hatched once.

I'll give em a week or so. These were shipped eggs and not in the best of shape after hitching a ride with the USPS, but they're doing no harm just setting there for a few more days. Hoping they come through, but what can you do when you have careless postal workers as your middle man..

fl.gif

Got an update for us? Checked a few of our eggs today, (day 4), and saw veining on all but two. They are blue/green eggs. Veining showed on a FBCM egg which we thought would be impossible to see for a while. We are leaving all eggs in until they stink or are obviously dead at lockdown.

All eggs eventually showed signs of life. 1 quitter in one of the 2 eggs with terrible air cells and I removed that egg (eggtopsy confirmed). The second bad air cell may also be a quitter but the shell is thick and difficult to see even with an incredibly bright light - I'm leaving it be as of now. The other 4 look good (still concerned about the saddle cell but it has a living embryo currently so who knows)... 4 solid signs of life in the remaining 5 eggs - hoping for the best and will know on 4/22 for sure.

Back
Top Bottom