Day 41 no pip but alive? Huh??

TigerLily34

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2024
Central New York
Hi all! I run a poultry farm and have hatched hundreds of eggs, and I’ve finally run into a first. I have a duck egg with high priority (laid by a now passed duck of importance to us) who is on day 41 with no pip or any indication of one. We’ve hatched many ducklings and I incubated this one the same one I’ve incubated every other one before it.

Yesterday we finally opened a small hole and I have located the beak, there is movement, but the veins are still rather prominent and I may see a yolk? I’ll have a picture attached at the end. I have seen varying opinions on what to do at days 30, 31, even 32 but not once in my life have I had a live duckling with no signs of hatching at day 41. I’m hesitant to take it out of the egg but I’m just so at a loss. I’m just looking for any opinions on what to do. We have heard only one faint chirp from the duckling in the last 24 hours. Beak is in normal placement and there are feathers of appropriate development on the face able to be seen through the membrane. When candled the duckling seems very small (lots of space in the egg).

This is not a pekin or mescovy duck breed. It is a swedish/crested mix, we have hatched from this pair in the past, although not often.

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpeg
    IMG_6963.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 30
Oh my goodness! I hope someone can help. Have you tried posting this on the duck forum? I know there are lots of duck folks over there that would be willing to help.

There's no way that egg is 2 weeks 'over due', the yolk wouldn't last for that long.
I think a new egg got mixed in by accident. Hatch as normal.
Is you incubator calibrated?

There's no way that egg is 2 weeks 'over due', the yolk wouldn't last for that long.
I think a new egg got mixed in by accident. Hatch as normal.
Is you incubator calibrated?
it is definitely two weeks over. this egg was collected the day the only female in the pen was killed. incubator is set to the same it always is for last few hatches.

I just want opinions of if i should take it out or leave it, because i’m really not sure. i’m not here to argue logistics i’m also incredibly confused but the survival of this chick is incredibly important to my family. that’s all i’m in need of assistance with!

I just want opinions of if i should take it out or leave it, because i’m really not sure. i’m not here to argue logistics i’m also incredibly confused but the survival of this chick is incredibly important to my family. that’s all i’m in need of assistance with!
If you are wondering whether to help it out of the shell: no, not as long as it is still showing veins like that.

Have you read the article on assisted hatching?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

You will obviously be ignoring the parts about how many days of incubation, but the parts about when to assist will probably work right (counting from pipping-- which hasn't happened yet-- or judging by whether veins are still present.)

I will be curious to see what it looks like when it finally comes out, but I'm not curious enough to want it out prematurely!

If you are wondering whether to help it out of the shell: no, not as long as it is still showing veins like that.

Have you read the article on assisted hatching?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

You will obviously be ignoring the parts about how many days of incubation, but the parts about when to assist will probably work right (counting from pipping-- which hasn't happened yet-- or judging by whether veins are still present.)

I will be curious to see what it looks like when it finally comes out, but I'm not curious enough to want it out prematurely!
alright thank you! i figured it may be something like that, but i’ve seen a few threads on here about taking ducklings out if they’re a few days past 28 which of course, we are way past. ill follow that and continue to wait on the veins and hope for the best.

someone else mentioned it could be issues relating to the crested gene the mother which may at least give me a reason as to why this has happened.

Back
Top Bottom