Day Old Chicks to Broody Hen

celliott24

Chirping
May 20, 2022
Birmingham, AL
Hi All,
I ordered day old chicks, and had a broody hen (Stella) so she’s been sitting on the (not fertile) eggs for about 20 days. I separated her from the rest of the flock, but they can all still see each other. The chicks hatched on the 20th and I picked them up from the post office early this morning. Half of what I have read says introduce during the day, half said at night so I decided to give it a try. Stella was MEAN, and did not want me touching her eggs and did not want a chick under her. She took one swift peck at the baby so I put her back in the brooder with the other day-olds.

Should I try again tonight after dark, or will she know it’s the same chicks? Should I keep the chicks in a separate room from Stella during the day today? (They’re all in a massive garage while we’re updating our coop) The risk of her turning on a baby in a second is kind of scary…

I feel bad as she has worked so hard for a few weeks! But don’t want her to kill the new chicks.

Secondly, I have a buff Orpington (Florence) who has shown signs of broodiness over the past few days. If Stella doesn’t take them, would it be possible that Florence would even without the incubating period?

I should also mention that none of these hens have ever been mothers. Am I just brewing disaster here? Should I just raise them myself?

How did you give the chicks to her? Just put them in front? Or did you brave the pecks and put them under her?
I tried to brave the pecks but she stood up and walked off the nest looking at me like “that’s not mine…” When I put the chick down in the nest she pecked it so I scooped it back up.

She went back to the nest and laid again after that.

This is my first time trying so any advice is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom