Day One hand turning?

coffeeaddict

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Does anyone know whether you should start turning eggs on day one of incubation? I see a few tutorials that say wait 24 hours after setting them to start turning. 🤔

Also, can't find much info on how precise the timing needs to be for manual turning. Can I turn at random times throughout the day as I pass by the incubator or does there need to be consistent amounts of time (like 3-4 hrs) between each time I turn?

My wonky setup pictured below. Upright eggs are shipped eggs that I will leave alone till day 3. Horizontal eggs are local eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 25
The whole point with turning is so the developing embryo doesn't get stuck to one side of the egg while developing. When my daughter hand turns she just does it a couple times a day. Usually once in the evening and once in the morning. A hen sitting on eggs will turn multiple times during the day. Just mimic that behavior and you should be fine. Again you're looking to keep things (mostly gravity) from getting the upper hand. Maybe see if you can find a video online to help you. Good luck with your hatching. Nothing cuter than little feather babies.

The whole point with turning is so the developing embryo doesn't get stuck to one side of the egg while developing. When my daughter hand turns she just does it a couple times a day. Usually once in the evening and once in the morning. A hen sitting on eggs will turn multiple times during the day. Just mimic that behavior and you should be fine. Again you're looking to keep things (mostly gravity) from getting the upper hand. Maybe see if you can find a video online to help you. Good luck with your hatching. Nothing cuter than little feather babies.
Thank you! That’s very helpful.

I have never waited the 24 hours but have read it’s okay to do that
I turn my eggs 3-5 times a day. Always try to do uneven as night time is longer between turns and this way it’s not always the same side being left for the longer time
Good luck :)
Thank you. I did end up turning them about ten hours after I set them. Turned them 3x today and will shoot for 5x the first week or so. I’ll try to mimic a broody hen. I’m sure they aren’t precise about exact timing and direction. I could be wrong.😅

I've watched my daughter turn her's. She literally just takes the palm of her hand across the top of them and kind of rolls them (as a group)to the other side. If you ever have a chance to watch a broody that's similar to what them do with their beaks. It's like a gentle nudge. I think she'll do like lunchtime turns too. Been a good six months since we've incubated. Maybe next month I'll convince her to put a batch in ;) ;) ;) @Fluffy Lambs

Thank you. I did end up turning them about ten hours after I set them. Turned them 3x today and will shoot for 5x the first week or so. I’ll try to mimic a broody hen. I’m sure they aren’t precise about exact timing and direction. I could be wrong.😅
I watched my duck with her eggs
It was never a set pattern
Eggs rolling all directions and very often. But I have not had one get stuck turning at least 3 times
There are days when things come up and I would get only 2 in and all was fine.
I watched a lady do an experiment on YouTube
To turn and not turn
Her non turned all died and never developed proper through the whole thing
So as the other poster said it’s because they can get stuck to the side and that’s what happened in the videos

Back
Top Bottom