DE in Stall-Dri

imfowl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 17, 2008
Louisiana
I cannot find food grade DE at any feed store around here. TSC does have Stall-Dri for horse stalls, which is mostly DE. How much DE is in it, and is it food grade?

I use Stall-Dry when I remember to buy a bag and yes it's the right kind. I don't have a bag now or I would look to see how much DE is in there.

Quote:
imfowl, I couldn't find anything in Louisiana. Do you live close to the Texas border? If so, maybe some of these places are close to you:
* Rabbit Hill Farm
[Brian DeMasters]
Hamilton, TX
254-386-4400
[FOSSIL SHELL FLOUR]

* NaturalFirst, L.P.
[Wholesale Distributer - call for retail outlets]
Fort Worth, TX
817-536-9900 - 800-605-8167
[MIX]

* Earthwise Organics
Harlingen, TX
956-207-0500
[FOSSIL SHELL FLOUR]

* The Hummers Group
Uvalde, TX
830-232-6467
[MIX]

* Fossil Shell Supply Co.
Amarillo, TX
800-355-9427
[FOSSIL SHELL FLOUR]

* Sustainable Ag Technologies
Brownfield, TX
806-777-1615
[FOSSIL SHELL FLOUR]

* Randall Burkey Company, Inc.
117 Industrial Drive
Boerne, TX 78006
Phone: 800-531-1097
International: 830-249-3596
Fax: 830-249-9223
[FOSSIL SHELL FLOUR]

edit:
Here are a couple in Arkansas:
# Diatomaceous Distributors
Jonesboro, AR
870-219-7513
[ALL]

# Nitron Industries
Fayetteville, AR
479-587-1777
[ALL]

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. It would be a pretty long haul to Texas, but if the DE in stall dri is food grade, I will probaly use that. Thanks again.

I use Stall Dry all the time, I love it. I also have some food grade DE, but find I use that more in the summer. Stall Dry works great for me in the winter. You can always call the company, I'm sure they can answer any questions you have.

Ok, here is a stupid question. I am unfamiliar with Stall-Dry.

Do you just sprinkle it on like DE and leave it or do you sprinkle it on and then rake it out ??? Can you use Stall-Dry if you do the deep litter method in the winter ??

Sorry to butt in on the post.....

Julie
smile.png

Stall-Dri is a mixture of DE & clay-like the clay in cat litter only in powdered form. Stall-Dri is used as it's name implies to absorb moisture. It is not something intended to be fed to anything so why would it need to be "food grade"?

Quote:
Because the non-food grade kind is highly toxic and causes cancer. And since you can't count on your chickens knowing that, and eating everything and anything, why take a chance? Plus, you inhaling it during use is a really, really bad idea, for the same reason.

Back
Top Bottom