DE question

Jack Sparrow

Songster
May 13, 2009
Mathis, Texas
Could someone please tell me what they use DE for?
hmm.png
I know I need food grade, but is it fed to them, put in their bedding, put in a dust bath?
roll.png

Is it an insecticide or a wormer?
idunno.gif

I hope this isn't too broad a subject but because I have to order it, I need to know what I am using it for.
D.gif

Thanks

I use DE in my tractor. I sprinkle it down on the floor before I put down pine shavings. I use a squirt bottle to puff it into the crevices. I also spread some in the nest boxes and on the roost. It helps dry the poo and keep the litter dryer. It is also supposed to help keep any bugs from taking up residence either on the birds or in the coop. Some people put it in the feed as well. I also put it in their sandbox so when they dustbath they get it on themselves as well. Remember, a little bit goes a long way!!! You dont want to inhale it and you dont want the birds to inhale it. I also add it to the litter when it seems a little too moist. I used the deep litter method this winter and it worked well, helping keep the litter dry.

The way I understand it DE is not an insecticide and it has no nutritional value and it is not poison of any kind. It works liek Boraxo does on fleas. It is timy little sharp shards that will not hurt the chickens but anykind of bug, mite, worm insect or whatever that it comes in contact with it is like us stepping on broken glass. That is why you don't want to get it in their lungs because it can be harnfull there but a little in their food and around the coop will keep the worms / parasites at bay and the bugs out of the coop. Food grade is a deffinate necessity, do not use the stuf you put in your pool filter, it is not the same product.

Try reading the Buckeye Breed thread on pages, oh I can't remember exactly, maybe 245-250. A lengthy discussion with many differing opinions and thoughts. A very good read! I'm trying to find feed grade DE now along with all the other litttle things I need to do for my chickies!
big_smile.png

Is it an insecticide or a wormer?

It's a mechanical insecticide that works by cutting the outer coating on insects, and dehydrating them by absobing body fluids.

It can be mixed with grain for insect and moisture control
'
Other than that, it has no PROVEN value for animals

It has NO nutritional value, and has never been proven to have any effect on internal parasites​

I recommend using the deep litter method. Clean out the bottom of the coop. Spinkle DE in a VERY thin layer. Then cover with about a foot or more deep of pine shavings. You will never have another mite or louse on your chickens again.

I personally do not like DE as an insect control. I have used it before to dust the coop and my birds and they still got lice. I always used poultry dust, permethrin. I dust the shavings, walls, birds...pretty much everything but the feeder and nestbox.

Back
Top Bottom