De-spurring, finally did it!

outlander

Chirping
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Belton, KY
After countless hours (weeks?) of researching both on and off BYC, I finally decided to get down to the business of de-spurring our rooster, Shaft.

The hennies were getting pretty torn up, and after observing Shaft's mounting style determined that his spurs were doing the most damage. Thought we could do some nail trimming while we were at it.

The following pictures are not meant for instructional purposes, only to show that if we can do it - you can, too!!

First, we set up our work station:

Then, prepared accordingly for rooster capture:

After successful capture, we gently secured Shaft burrito style:

Carefully seated across from me on my wife's lap, Shaft remained calm while I wiped off his feet with a wet washcloth and began trimming his nails:

Like a noob, I nicked the quick on my first try:

But quickly applied some cornstarch with a bit of pressure:

After a few more trimmings...and subsequent cornstarch applications, it was time to address the spur. Using the pliers, I twisted one way, then the other...and it popped right off:

Applying the same technique to Shaft's other foot, we were done in no time! He's currently not speaking to us...though I swore I heard him mutter under his breath, "stoopid broads" as he gingerly stomped away....

Good job (I would not ever) just make sure his legs don't get infected. Pack those holes with triple antibiotic and maybe even bandage for a couple days until it's scabbed.
smile.png

Thanks!

There are really no holes to speak of...just the cores of the spurs. They're like a smaller, softer version of the original. They scabbed over pretty quick, which was good!

Considering how well the hennies heal up from their mating wounds without any interference from me, I'm confident Shaft will in mating form again shortly :)

After countless hours (weeks?) of researching both on and off BYC, I finally decided to get down to the business of de-spurring our rooster, Shaft.

The hennies were getting pretty torn up, and after observing Shaft's mounting style determined that his spurs were doing the most damage. Thought we could do some nail trimming while we were at it.

Then, prepared accordingly for rooster capture:
BRAhahahahahaha
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Thanks, I needed good Guffaw!!

On a more serious note......did you need to use the corn starch on the spur stubs too?

I've observed that the toe nails make more contact than the spurs....and then the beak on the back of the neck.

Lol, you're welcome aart! We try not to take ourselves TOO seriously. Any day that I can use a trashcan lid shield and broomstick battle axe is a good one in my adventure book :)

To answer your question, yes I did apply cornstarch to the spur cores. They bled a little more than I expected...possibly because I had a death grip on the pliers and the thin membrane between the spur and core was torn in the process of removal. Next time I'll not squeeze so hard...or maybe just wrap a wide rubber band around the spur for grippage and use my hands.

He continued to bleed a little throughout the morning, but I kept my eye on him and it eventually coagulated and was scabbed up by bedtime. Next time I'll make sure I have actual styptic powder on hand.

I had thought the same...about the nails doing the damage, until I really observed his style. He grips the hen's "elbows" if you will, and uses his spurs to balance on her back. My suspicions were confirmed later when, after de-spurring, he went right up and mounted a hen. His spur cores left bloody imprints right where the other hens were experiencing severe damage.

I'm glad I did this...the hens currently healing up in the infirmary/nursery coop are getting antsy to free range again. I'll feel better letting them out knowing they won't get immediately re-injured.

Thanks!

There are really no holes to speak of...just the cores of the spurs. They're like a smaller, softer version of the original. They scabbed over pretty quick, which was good!

Considering how well the hennies heal up from their mating wounds without any interference from me, I'm confident Shaft will in mating form again shortly
smile.png

Well, that's cool. Good to know it's not traumatic. I'm sure the hens appreciate it! For my roos, I was just thinking of taping the spurs or filing the tips down with a smooth wood file. I'm more worried about the little scrums they have with each other more than hen damage. Of course, they are only 11 months so, no real spurs yet anyway.
smile.png

Lol, you're welcome aart! We try not to take ourselves TOO seriously. Any day that I can use a trashcan lid shield and broomstick battle axe is a good one in my adventure book
smile.png

To answer your question, yes I did apply cornstarch to the spur cores. They bled a little more than I expected...possibly because I had a death grip on the pliers and the thin membrane between the spur and core was torn in the process of removal. Next time I'll not squeeze so hard...or maybe just wrap a wide rubber band around the spur for grippage and use my hands.

He continued to bleed a little throughout the morning, but I kept my eye on him and it eventually coagulated and was scabbed up by bedtime. Next time I'll make sure I have actual styptic powder on hand.

I had thought the same...about the nails doing the damage, until I really observed his style. He grips the hen's "elbows" if you will, and uses his spurs to balance on her back. My suspicions were confirmed later when, after de-spurring, he went right up and mounted a hen. His spur cores left bloody imprints right where the other hens were experiencing severe damage.

I'm glad I did this...the hens currently healing up in the infirmary/nursery coop are getting antsy to free range again. I'll feel better letting them out knowing they won't get immediately re-injured.
I had to resort to corn starch doing the dogs nails once when the styptic powder had run out....I think it actually works better than the styptic powder.

Back
Top Bottom