De-spurring roosters

dct10

Songster
Aug 24, 2020
I could use some advice regarding the question of de-spurring my Roo. We have a beautiful 3 year old, 14 Lb Buff Cochin Rooster who proves his worth on a daily basis. He's an amazing protector and is good to his girls. Last summer, I had the flock out of their run to get some yard time while I did some gardening...I heard the hens freaking out and saw them rushing back to their run with a Peregrine Falcon hot on their trail. I thought for sure I was about to lose one. But Doc was Johnny-on-the-spot and came out of nowhere...leaping 4 ft into the air and snatching the Falcon to the ground. He really whooped it's ass and it was lucky to get out of there alive. Doc didn't have a mark on him. So I have allowed him to keep his spurs as he never attacks people and never hurts the girls. That being said, his spurs are excessively long now. Like 6 inches long. What do I do now? I thought about using a dremmel and cut-off wheel to take them down to about 2 inches but I don't want to hurt him. They cause him trouble walking as they hit together and he trips himself at times. Any guidance would be appreciated. I've seen all the methods and they all seem very traumatic for the poor guys.

One of my previous roosters grew long spurs that curled back into his legs causing him pain. We used horse nippers to take off about half the length of the spurs. The spurs grow continuously so this was a yearly task. A dremmel should work just fine. If you look closely at the spur you can kind of tell where the quick may be. Just be careful to not cut down into the quick or the spur will bleed. This is no different than cutting your fingernails and it doesn't hurt them if your don't take off too much. If it does bleed it's a sign that it hurts him but they get over it pretty quick. :old

The last time I had to cut a rooster's spurs was in 1988, he was the meanest rooster I had ever seen, he would jump one anyone, just like the shingles commercial, he didn't care. I got a friend to hold him while I cut them with a hacksaw where they were about a half inch long, then rounded them with a file. He never acted like it bothered him a bit but he didn't punch holes in anyone else. : )

Back
Top Bottom