Dead chickens, scared ducks

windomducks123

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
So the dog from across the section came over into my barn and killed all my fat chicken. The dog only killed my chickens and left my 4 rouens and 2 geese alive. this happened about 3 weeks ago. now my ducks a completely scared of me. is there a good way to let them know that i am the good one and will not harm them. My chickens are about 4 months old and were starting to come around me and not be afraid and then this happens and mess all my work up.

How old are the ducks? If they are same age as the chickens they could be going through their "teen-age" phase. During this time they can and often are especially nervous and flighty.

Try to spend as much time in there with them as you can. I suggest sitting down and talking very calmly to them, while offering yummy treats. I gave mine lots of fresh veggies by hand, would toss them slugs I picked from the garden, and even meal worms. Needless to say, I became the goddess of food, and seen in a much happier light. They still can be quite flighty at times, but so long as I move slowly, talk softly and calmly, they will let me approach and sometimes pick them up with little hassle. If I sit or squat down they will approach me, and frequently follow me around as I work around in their yard (mostly because I think they are gobbling up whatever bigs I stir up in the process).

Sorry to hear about your loss, but be patient and in time they should turn around a be ok.

Back
Top Bottom