Free ranging ducks

Garciaaxen

Chirping
Nov 20, 2023
Hello, I have 1 drake Rouen & 2 Campbell hens. Drake is 3 months old & the girls are 2 months. I don’t usually let them free range because I’m paranoid about any outside animals getting them so they’re in their coop all day. I share a yard with others since I live in an apartment & we all just share a big yard together. Some of them own chickens that are out all day but there are stray cats that walk around & that’s what makes me nervous. Although they don’t mess with my neighbors chickens I’m still worried they’ll mess with my ducks. Also, their coop has become a become a big stinky wet mess so I’m thinking about letting them out during the day whenever I’m outside to supervise. But will they willingly on their own go back to their coop when it’s night time? How can I get them to go inside at night?

well if you can set up a temporary fence to give them an area thats only a couple hundred square feet at first so they cant go way too far away and they get used to going back in . and use treats. shake the treat can and call them when its time to go in give them a little treat and some water (important ducks must have water whenever they have any food) then either make the fenced area bigger or just take it down they should learn by then

Update!…. So I let my babies out free for about 2 hours with supervision. They didn’t want to leave the coop but I got them to come out & they enjoyed the freedom! They nibbled on some grass & walked for around for a little, couldn’t get them to go in their pool but I will try again tomorrow. Now they are safely inside their coop resting.☺️

Keep 'em from flying? Our cats wanted to kill 'em as small ducklings but was easy to let 'em check each other out supervised. The cats adapted in just a few days and figured the 2-month-old ducklings weren't as rodents or small birds. Not sure about stray cats but know most have a survivalist wimpy side about 'em. My ducks wanted to peck the cats 1st thing, like establishing a pecking order with 'em. Cats were immediately intimidated. They are sorta friends now but stay wary of each other. Watch and be ready to act. It'll be apparent if the cats go into stalking mode and are or are not interested in your ducks as a meal. I'm guessing if chickens are ignored chances are good, they'll bypass your ducks to seek out their normal much smaller prey. Hawks, eagles, and owls are enemies of kittens and small cats so instinct about big birds, may work in your favor.

Expose 'em to the pool, (with easy in/out) and soon enough, they won't be able to resist ;)

Last edited:
Hello, I have 1 drake Rouen & 2 Campbell hens. Drake is 3 months old & the girls are 2 months. I don’t usually let them free range because I’m paranoid about any outside animals getting them so they’re in their coop all day. I share a yard with others since I live in an apartment & we all just share a big yard together. Some of them own chickens that are out all day but there are stray cats that walk around & that’s what makes me nervous. Although they don’t mess with my neighbors chickens I’m still worried they’ll mess with my ducks. Also, their coop has become a become a big stinky wet mess so I’m thinking about letting them out during the day whenever I’m outside to supervise. But will they willingly on their own go back to their coop when it’s night time? How can I get them to go inside at night?
I used to have a long pole to guide mine in the coop and now all I have to say is back in the coop and they all 15 file back in. They are quite trainable and smart.

Back
Top Bottom