Dead hatched chicks from a broody silkie

We are going to slip in the chicks at night, the mornings are pure chaos here already. Tonight is the big night, I got 6 day old chicks from the feed stores shipment today. I'm trying to decide if we leave the broody in her nest, it's not in the best location under the nest boxes, or if we move her to a more secure location. I have her fenced off but the other chickens can get over the fence. ugh, this looks so easy when other people do it!!!!
I separated her so she didn't have to fight other girls off, even if they can get over the top, they might not think about it.
tongue.png

When I let her out and they were up and around... she went back to her chosen nest site at the end of the day... probably day 3 or 4. Make plenty of things to run around and hide under. I watch for any bullies on integration day. Everyone comes and check them out. some might take a peck at them. As long as the chick runs away and the hens aren't relentless, I let it be. Add extra feeding stations.

Now at about 5-6 weeks, 2 of the chicks are sleeping in the next nest box over from their mama. Guess 1 sq ft isn't that much for 4 growing chicks and a silkie. But they vacate it first thing in the morning when they are ready to eat. We get lots of rain but the temps are mild.

Healthy babies, happy mama!
yippiechickie.gif

We decided to put the broody in a pet carrier with her nest and bring her into the laundry room next to the chicks. We did this in the early evening so she would hear but not see the chicks. After dark my daughter took out the last eggs and slipped in the chicks. Our broody tucked them right under her wings and everyone slept peacefully. This morning all 6 chicks were up and about, the broody is making cooing happy noises and everyone seems to be getting along great. We are giving her a couple of days in the current set up to get nice and bonded then putting them all in the fenced off area of the coop. The adoption went better then expected. Thank you for all the advice and encouragement.

She adopted 6 chicks. Virginia has a rule about buying chicks so it was 6 or none. We are moving them crack to the coop Friday night when the cold snap is over. My laundry room is smelling pretty chickeny
1f637.png
1f4a9.png

Back
Top Bottom