Dead hen and cervical dislocation for euthanizing

I used the broomstick method today on a very big cockerel with thick hackles. Use steady, quick (not jerking) upward pulling force.

I like the idea of making a groove for the head and neck. Broomstick method has never failed me and it’s instant!

I've heard of this, but never seen the particulars. How deep would this groove need to be?
I don’t really know as I have not used a groove. I imaging it would be 1/2-1 inch-or just enough to allow the head and neck to lay with neck stretched forward without compressing the neck to cause suffocation and panic (lower beak on ground so you are looking at the back of the head).
Maybe @Cinnamon Roll can give details?

I use my bootheal to make a groove about the width of the head, it’s usually a tiny bit wider than it is deep so that the stick can still make contact with the base of the skull. If you don’t make it deep enough the only risk is that the chicken can’t breathe and may start to panic, in that case just do the deed as fast as you can. I also have a knife ready just in case something goes wrong with the broomstick method.

Another thing I find useful is to use a rebar instead of a smooth stick. It has less risk of slipping.

I strongly recommend chopping their necks with a hatchet. Quick and painless. I don't like CD for a number of reasons, purely subjective ones.

Back
Top Bottom