Dearborn Chickens

chickenlady241

Hatching
Apr 29, 2020
I've just been notified that I have 4 days to remove my birds then I am doing my research and find on here michigan RTF laws. I call the local RTF office and they say they can't offer an explanation of if I'm "within my rights" without an inspection. I'm not sure the Animal Control is going to be cool about waiting for RTF. Dearborn has a permit requirement for having a few backyard chickens however they refuse to issue permits don't even accept applications which seems in clear violation of RTF..

Following. I am from Fairfield Ohio and we are just starting to try to get chickens here. So I am interested in seeing what happens there. However, I believe that if there is a permit application it should be online as well and you could print it from there. Maybe, but then again I am new to the whole idea that they can even tell me I can't have 4 chickens..opps. Stepping of soapbox. :)

There's been no permits issued in Dearborn as far as I know the last case was in 2009 a woman was told her permit was denied for her chickens and she had to get rid of her ten. I'm excited to see where it goes too. There is no online permit application online here but in neighboring cities like Ann Arbor things are really smooth, I know a few people with chickens.

It may also mean that she quickly found out she didn't have a clue.

"Michigan Right to Farm Act" It doesn't mean what a lot of people assume it means, based on the title. That's true in virtually every state that has a "Right to Farm Act". They exist to protect ongoing, scale, farming operations from ruinous lawsuits grounded in Nuisance law, and generally do NOT apply to backyard chicken keeping, much less new backyard chicken keeping.

They might also find this opinion instructive.

A good site for MI "farmers".

The important question most BY owners forget is the very first one. "IS IT A FARM"? If the answer is "no", Full Stop. Inapplicable. Move on.

[Emphasis mine]

As used in this act:
(a) "Farm" means the land, plants, animals, buildings, structures, including ponds used for agricultural or aquacultural activities, machinery, equipment, and other appurtenances used in the commercial production of farm products.
(b) "Farm operation" means the operation and management of a farm or a condition or activity that occurs at any time as necessary on a farm in connection with the commercial production, harvesting, and storage of farm products, and includes, but is not limited to:
(i) Marketing produce at roadside stands or farm markets.
(ii) The generation of noise, odors, dust, fumes, and other associated conditions.
(iii) The operation of machinery and equipment necessary for a farm including, but not limited to, irrigation and drainage systems and pumps and on-farm grain dryers, and the movement of vehicles, machinery, equipment, and farm products and associated inputs necessary for farm operations on the roadway as authorized by the Michigan vehicle code, Act No. 300 of the Public Acts of 1949, being sections 257.1 to 257.923 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(iv) Field preparation and ground and aerial seeding and spraying.
(v) The application of chemical fertilizers or organic materials, conditioners, liming materials, or pesticides.
(vi) Use of alternative pest management techniques.
(vii) The fencing, feeding, watering, sheltering, transportation, treatment, use, handling and care of farm animals.
(viii) The management, storage, transport, utilization, and application of farm by-products, including manure or agricultural wastes.
(ix) The conversion from a farm operation activity to other farm operation activities.
(x) The employment and use of labor.

Any update on Dearborn? Right to farm act apply for having 3 hens ?
Very interesting! Thank you!
This link, particularly.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdard/environment/rtf

https://www.michigan.gov/mdard/food-dairy/michigan-cottage-foods-information#ProductList
I found out I can't sell my kombucha at a farm market. Shoots that retirement plan. Just kidding.
I'm thinking that the Bartering system might be a way around all these regulations.

Back
Top Bottom