Declining baby chick

Everyone was fine yesterday, today I find one sleeping while everyone else is up and peeping.
So I pick her up and she won't even hold her head up. Will peep and open her eyes a little when I upset her. Droopy wingswont stand. Will drink the water i put in her beak. I just got all of them from the feed store yesterday.
I'd say they are all a week and a couple days old.
They are on regular chick grower non medicated. They have has save a chick in their water. They are on the same bedding my feed store uses.
Has a little chick diarrhea but nothing is blocked. Crop has food and water in it.

I know the outcomes but I just don't know the reason why or how to prevent.
What kind of chick was it?

What kind of chick was it?
I'm not certain, I bought 12 and half of them were the little chipmunk looking kind... my best guess was what they had labeled as an English Orpington (it didn't look like the English orpingtons I got last year though). It also could've been easter egger, ameraucana, etc. The guy at the feed store was so unknowledgeable I had to reach in myself to find the right ones.

Purina Flock Raiser can be used from hatch on. Do you have photos of the labels you saw? It would be good to read those...

I'm sorry that you lost the chick and are having troubles this year.

If you are having trouble with chicks you hatch yourself too, then make sure that the parent stock is quality, healthy birds and that they have good nutrition before you even start thinking of collecting eggs.

Troubleshoot incubation issues as well. Check out the BYC Learning Center for articles on incubation, nutrition and more.
So I was slightly mistaken. I apparently didn't read the line above it..
It says the 8 week thing for mostly game birds, it says normal use for chickens and such.
My apologies!

So I was slightly mistaken. I apparently didn't read the line above it..
It says the 8 week thing for mostly game birds, it says normal use for chickens and such.
My apologies!
No worries. You never know if a manufacturer is going to change something in their ingredients or labeling, so I was just curious.

Back
Top Bottom