Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
when a real health issue he has that needs treatment for (inflamed foot) was staring me in the face.
I thought that I'd take a look since bumble foot was brought up. He has no lesions on his feet that I can see or feel. So, he doesn't need treatment for an inflamed foot. But the crow reduction surgery helps to prevent him from losing his head, and maybe he'll even get to be integrated into somebody's flock and live a long life.

Dr. James

Hi Dr. James. Do you know of anyone in Northern Ohio that does your procedure? I'm figuring not, but thought I'd ask. We have a great rooster who is a real sweetie. We just got 6 hens and him and I think he's crowing all day because he's happy! He lived with another rooster that bullied him before coming here. Now he's got the hens to himself and is trumpeting with pride it seems. That simply won't work in our neighborhood. We had to take the rooster to get the 6 good layers for free... at least that 's my animal lover wife's story. ;-)

We have a taker for the bird, but we are worried that "nice home" might mean a stew pot. De-Crowing it might save it since we could keep it.

Last edited:
Oh I would have to say that is cruel. You don't need a rooster to raise chickens. Roosters are used for meat anyway. EVERYONE knows Roos make noise. Some are louder than others. Most "urban farmers" don't have more than a few chickens and a small fenced area for the birds and there is no need for a rooster anyway. It amazes me that folks want to enjoy some things from the "country" but want to take the "country" out of it.

DISAPPROVE of maiming animals for ones selfish convenience.

Well said!! This is as horrifying to me as people who "de-bark" their dogs.

Well said!! This is as horrifying to me as people who "de-bark" their dogs.

I understand the ethical side of this, respect it highly, and am struggling with it. But what is better, a peaceful life without crowing or being butchered? I am guessing that life would be preferred by a rooster. As I said in my post, this rooster came to us as a contingency, not by our choice. We have two possible homes for it. One sounds more sincere than the other but there's risk either way. I've already figured that there is a move in my future to a place with fewer neighbors. Doesn't help me at the moment though.

I'd happily donate my rooster to someone here who could give it a nice home and is within a reasonable distance from Cleveland. I'd happily meet half-way. It would be best if there isn't already an aggressive alpha rooster present. This guy is pretty gentle and much less happy in those circumstances.

I understand the ethical side of this, respect it highly, and am struggling with it. But what is better, a peaceful life without crowing or being butchered? I am guessing that life would be preferred by a rooster. As I said in my post, this rooster came to us as a contingency, not by our choice. We have two possible homes for it. One sounds more sincere than the other but there's risk either way. I've already figured that there is a move in my future to a place with fewer neighbors. Doesn't help me at the moment though.

I'd happily donate my rooster to someone here who could give it a nice home and is within a reasonable distance from Cleveland. I'd happily meet half-way. It would be best if there isn't already an aggressive alpha rooster present. This guy is pretty gentle and much less happy in those circumstances.
And I understand the other side of the coin, too. I can't climb up on a moral high horse because I spay all of my dogs. That's also another major surgery to an animal that has nothing to do with its survival. Yes, there may be health benefits (less risk of cancer, etc.), and yes an argument can be made that it is a necessity in our society. But there is are darker motivations behind spaying as well, one of which IS convenience. So I understand that it is a tough choice with no right answer, and I didn't mean to attack anyone in particular.

It just seems to me that it is a HUGE assumption that decrowing results in a "peaceful life." It has taken me years to learn to read my dogs and I still get it wrong all the time. Birds are far more subtle in their body expressions than dogs are, and I after reading the entire thread on aggressive roosters (why they become aggressive & how to deal with it) - I think it is reasonable to say that most people really struggle when it comes to figuring out what their birds are thinking and feeling. It seems wrong to just assume the bird will happily accept whatever you do to it. After all, he doesn't know that the only other alternative is death. How do you know he won't be frustrated, angry, or unhappy? For me it's a life vs. quality of life issue.

Decrowing a rooster has nothing to do with improving the health and happiness of the bird, and everything to do with improving his owner's quality of life. The whole reason I got chickens to begin with was to stop supporting an industry that keeps chickens in tiny cages where they are miserable (but super convenient for corporations). I just seems wrong to distort an animal's life that far just to suit the needs of people.

But that's just my opinion, and that's what makes forums so great. Some folks will agree with me, lots of folks won't. To each his own
smile.png

And I understand the other side of the coin, too. I can't climb up on a moral high horse because I spay all of my dogs. That's also another major surgery to an animal that has nothing to do with its survival. Yes, there may be health benefits (less risk of cancer, etc.), and yes an argument can be made that it is a necessity in our society. But there is are darker motivations behind spaying as well, one of which IS convenience. So I understand that it is a tough choice with no right answer, and I didn't mean to attack anyone in particular.

It just seems to me that it is a HUGE assumption that decrowing results in a "peaceful life." It has taken me years to learn to read my dogs and I still get it wrong all the time. Birds are far more subtle in their body expressions than dogs are, and I after reading the entire thread on aggressive roosters (why they become aggressive & how to deal with it) - I think it is reasonable to say that most people really struggle when it comes to figuring out what their birds are thinking and feeling. It seems wrong to just assume the bird will happily accept whatever you do to it. After all, he doesn't know that the only other alternative is death. How do you know he won't be frustrated, angry, or unhappy? For me it's a life vs. quality of life issue.

Decrowing a rooster has nothing to do with improving the health and happiness of the bird, and everything to do with improving his owner's quality of life. The whole reason I got chickens to begin with was to stop supporting an industry that keeps chickens in tiny cages where they are miserable (but super convenient for corporations). I just seems wrong to distort an animal's life that far just to suit the needs of people.

But that's just my opinion, and that's what makes forums so great. Some folks will agree with me, lots of folks won't. To each his own
smile.png

Our thinking is closer than you might think, 6of6. I am researching options and undecided. Asking Dr James about a local surgeon was one way of eliminating the option in a way. Thanks for a great overview of the dilemma... much of which my wife and I have been mulling over. Animal psychology is indeed a great unknown. Certainly you are right that predicting animal happiness is an assumption, up until the moment the fella would be strutting his stuff and acting normally after such a thing. The alternative would be heart-breaking. I love forums like this for kicking this kind of thing around. Multiple minds are far better than my limited dome. ;-)

I am a great advocate of de-barking dogs. I know it was a rhetorical question but the surgery has saved the lives of many chrnic barkers that would have ended up dead due to noise ordinances. It is completely justified.

I support you completely in this matter. Given the choice of putting one of my best breeding roosters in the freezer just because of some over zealous noise ordinance, or decrowing them, I am all for the de-crow. They de-bark some sled dogs in Alaska when one is born that, some some reason cannot be trained to be silent. It has also saved many lives. Keep up the good work!

FYI, we ended up finding a sustainable farmer who was looking for a rooster, so "Cogburn" is a happy camper, crowing away for his new hens. His old hens (our layers) mourned his loss for about 10 seconds then started pecking the ground again. ;-)

Also, I do have an anti-crowing collar that I had ordered before we found the new home for our rooster. That collar (velcro type) is available if anyone wants to try it. It cost me $17, so make an offer and I'll pass it on. I got it here, if you want to see the write-up. -Al

Back
Top Bottom