Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Absolutely, this is a great Idea, one of the reasons I have chickens is because the rooster are so colorful... I agree with this procedure though I am quite a ways away from oklahoma but great idea.

That's a hell of a lot of money to spend on a chicken, no matter how much you like him. I'm retired and on a fixed income, so that would be about 1/3 of one month's money. I'd rather try the No-Crow Collar concept.

I'm wondering what came of this. I have a silkie rooster that has been crowing and I'm considering an implant to hopefully stop it. I would be very interested in this surgery although I am in Cali. Any new developments on the subject?

I had my French copper Maran decrowed exactly 3 weeks ago.
It was great...he was 50% quieter and totally neighborhood friendly. But today, he started crowing louder, enough for me to go back to the doctor at St.Louis in Oakland for a redo. I don't know if its because he just reached puberty (he started humping the girls 3 days ago) but his crow was now at 75% normal. Which is ok if you have a 15000 sq ft lot.
So we'll see how if it works.
Redos was Free.

Last edited:
I just want to say I think this is great. I read lots of arguments but I really don't think any of them hold up. Roosters are the most unwanted male of any species due to their crowing which also prevents people from being able to keep ones they love in so many areas. It's not easy to find good homes for roosters and many chicken owners grieve the loss of their pets who are sent off to the stew pot. Thousands of roosters are killed every day simply for doing something that comes naturally. Not only do is this a great option to start protecting a misunderstood species but hopefully it will wake people up that roosters can make good pets and have more value then just someone's meal!!

Last edited:
I went back to the doctor for the free redo. My rooster's crow is now inaudible. I am so happy I could keep him. He's one of my favorite and he's so good looking too! I hope it lasts. I would do it again in a heartbeat. There's no downtime. He can still crow but nothing comes out. I heard it doesn't always work but I wanted to keep my rooster so I tried this not wildly known or popular procedure. I'm in California. My doctor is a chicken lover so he really cares. I brought him back for the redo, no questions asked. No paperwork at all. He remembers all his clients.

Last edited:
I went back to the doctor for the free redo. My rooster's crow is now inaudible. I am so happy I could keep him. He's one of my favorite and he's so good looking too! I hope it lasts. I would do it again in a heartbeat. There's no downtime. He can still crow but nothing comes out. I heard it doesn't always work but I wanted to keep my rooster so I tried this not wildly known or popular procedure. I'm in California. My doctor is a chicken lover so he really cares. I brought him back for the redo, no questions asked. No paperwork at all. He remembers all his clients.

I am either very unlucky, or insane or both. I too thought highly of this doctor at first. He has failed too many times for me, for me to think he knows what he is doing. I live exactly 96 miles from his office and have made eleven trips with fifteen cockerels to his office (several trips I returned with two cockerels from failed surgeries). All fifteen surgeries have ended in either death or failure. Three cockerels have died at his office and one died a few days after being brought home. All the surgeries seem to work at first but over the course of a month or so, the cockerels slowly figure out how to again make too much noise. I know the surgery can work because I bought a Marans rooster from a lady in Pacifica and he was totally silent(he turned very mean and so was gotten rid of). So I am either really unlucky or I fit the bill for the definition of insanity in doing something over and over and over and expecting a different result. I guess I am an optimist because I just keep thinking he will get it right the next time. The odd thing is that if the bird dies on the operating table you have to pay again but if the surgery doesn't kill him but doesn't work he will do the surgery again for free. When the bird dies on the table I would think the surgery was a failure also. His fee $150.00 per surgery, seems pretty reasonable to me, but not when it doesn't work over this many tries. I have paid him $600.00 and have nothing but big expenses to show for it. I bought most of those cockerels and paid as much as $50.00 each for some of them. I have driven over 2200 miles back and forth to his office. He seems like a nice guy but his niceness hasn't gotten me anything. I hope you have better luck chickiesmommy. Kern

Back
Top Bottom