Deep litter coop floor - linoleum or wood?

I am currently using wood chips and pine shavings in my chick brooder and that seems to work well in controlling both the smell and keeping the bedding dry. The bedding is about 4 inches deep now and it does not smell at all. If I start to detect any smell of ammonia, I just fluff up the bedding and throw more on top. I have not removed any litter. But the chicks are relatively small and I expect that full grown chickens may require more work to keep it clean/fresh.
How old are chicks..How many chicks in how big a space???
It's all about balance....Nitrogen(poops) to Carbon(bedding).
Moisture pays a part too.
You'll just have to see how you go, be observant, and adjust accordingly.

...You'll just have to see how you go, be observant, and adjust accordingly.

I am trying to adopt a Permaculture philosophy towards this whole process. As I understand it, in Permaculture, you try something, see how it works, and "adjust accordingly." What I like about that approach is it takes into account that different environments, or people, may need different solutions. Also, if you "mess up" (pun intended) then you try something else that might work better. Live and learn as a process.

I translate "permaculture" to " good old fashioned farming like my dad and uncle did it". We've lost our way and bought into advertising telling us we need to trust and buy from big corporations. We are rebelling and clawing our way back to our roots. Yeah, ok, we use a modern fancy term, permaculture. It just means farming.:lau

Actually I agree. It's done in a totally different way. I was just getting up on my soapbox about corporate food and returning to the land.
:rolleyes: Then why compare it to Permaculture?! :rolleyes:

Again, if anyone really wants to know what Permaculture is....
Look up Bill Mollison....do some reading and watch a couple of his videos.

I translate "permaculture" to " good old fashioned farming like my dad and uncle did it". We've lost our way and bought into advertising telling us we need to trust and buy from big corporations. We are rebelling and clawing our way back to our roots. Yeah, ok, we use a modern fancy term, permaculture. It just means farming.:lau

I think there is a big difference between the family farm of years ago and the agribusiness "farmers" we have today. Where I grew up, farming means growing one crop - beets - and nothing else. The small town I grew up in used to have 40-50 kids per grade because they had so many small farmers. Now the class size in that town is down to 8 per grade, and the school has had to consolidate with 4 other small towns that all used to have their own schools. The small, diversified farmers, are gone and bought out by a handful of large agribusiness "farmers." None of them have any interest in permaculture, or farming as it used to be.

...Look up Bill Mollison....do some reading and watch a couple of his videos.

Will do. I'm not at a location where I can farm, but I still enjoy doing what I can in my garden. This year I got some chickens, but the good wife said no to goats and/or pigs. I live on a lake, and years ago I had some free range ducks and geese, but the wife did not like my birds pooping on the wooden sidewalks which made them really slick... The geese also made lots of noise, which I liked, but my wife did not. If things go well with the chickens out in my backyard fenced in pasture, maybe I can expand my livestock next year. Maybe...

Back
Top Bottom