Deep litter method

I've got one coop that suddenly stank to high heavens. About a week or so ago, I put about a half bag of shavings into one area and mixed it all up. The other half bag went to the other portion. It still stinks. I'm gonna have to pull out the wheel barrow and remove about half of it and then add more shavings I think.

Do you think if I sprayed just a little bit of LAB in there and mixed it up, that they could fix the situation?

Last edited:
Normally when I have an ammonia odor it's because the roof vents are blocked by snow. Today there was an odor with nothing blocking the vents & I find just turning the DL some helps. Today was a composting odor. Temps have been warmer and snow is melting so the DL is absorbing the water from the ground. So a quick toss of the DL helps. I toss all the litter to one side and the hens scratch it back. Gets a great mix of everything that way. I even opened the door window halfway since it's warmer out :)

I'm diligent about turning in the poop each day or so and this lets the insects get at it, so they disperse it and help to compost it quickly. No poop, no ammonia. When it was in the subzero temps was the first I smelled poop in my coop and I think it was because it was too cold for the bugs to be feeding in the upper layers of the bedding. That didn't last too long and soon the poop was digested as per normal.

I'm diligent about turning in the poop each day or so and this lets the insects get at it, so they disperse it and help to compost it quickly.  No poop, no ammonia.  When it was in the subzero temps was the first I smelled poop in my coop and I think it was because it was too cold for the bugs to be feeding in the upper layers of the bedding.  That didn't last too long and soon the poop was digested as per normal. 

I usually only smelled the ammonia with the subzero temps also. Today it was just a damp earthy smell.

I'm going to be getting my first little flock of chickens ( only 6 of them) in a month or so and I'm really interested in trying the deep litter method, it sounds like a great idea although I'm a little concerned about unwanted creepy crawlies in the coop! especially after reading about the darkling beetle issue...yuk!. Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem? my coop will be a converted shed with a cement floor, any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

I'm going to be getting my first little flock of chickens ( only 6 of them) in a month or so and I'm really interested in trying the deep litter method, it sounds like a great idea although I'm a little concerned about unwanted creepy crawlies in the coop! especially after reading about the darkling beetle issue...yuk!. Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem? my coop will be a converted shed with a cement floor, any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

There will always be creepy crawlies in the coop, no matter what you use. It's a place where animals poop, eat and drink, so it will attract bugs and their predators. The darkling beetles actually consume the larvae of the northern red fowl mite, so they have their uses. The darkling beetle larva are also a good meal for the chickens, the lesser meal worm. Bugs are good when they are in balance.

You'll need a good, soft covering for that cement floor...it's hard on a bird's feet. You'll need to add water to your DL from time to time to keep it from being dry unless you live in a very humid environment.

Well, I do have 2 parrots who are pretty messy, plus 3 dogs so I'm used to cleaning up poop and suchlike, I'm just not too keen on wiggly things!!

Well, I do have 2 parrots who are pretty messy, plus 3 dogs so I'm used to cleaning up poop and suchlike, I'm just not too keen on wiggly things!!

the trouble is, composting doesn't happen in deep litter UNLESS there are wiggly things, something's got to help breaking the stuff down. so you can't have one without the other, i don't think?

Back
Top Bottom