Deep litter method

Pics
That was the problem I had with my first round of deep litter. Too dusty. I tried sifting out the larger shavings and getting the dust off the floor but that didnt work so well. I ended up cleaning it all out and put it in a couple trash cans with lids, to save it and re-add it in smaller amounts to a new batch (but less deep) of clean pine shavings. I think the secret is the poo to shavings ratio. Just enough shavings to keep the amonia away. When poo and litter is wet, that is when the amonia is released..Use the LEAST amount of shavings you can - its probably still less than I am using now lol...and when you are tempted to add more, maybe just turn it a bit with a shovel first and see if you can skip adding fresh shavings. I am trying to use less shavings and keep it stirred up. I have also used straw, and I liked that alot....and it is less dusty but makes me itchy. I didnt want to add any water to my litter, because it can really get amonia stinky and thats not good either. I wonder if one of my issues was also the fact that I can walk thru my coop (which I do alot) and that breaks down the shavings into dust...

Remember poo shavings ratio. I think its like a recipe. lol.

Last edited:
I am guilty of dumping the rest of the wood shavings bag into the coop just to finish it off and adding too much in the beginning.

I read somewhere that dusty litter means that ventilation could be improved and I know that my coop needs better ventilation. Aside from improving ventilation, start off with few inches of litter at the beginning and add to it as needed...building up to a deeper litter.

I need to change out my litter today
D.gif

This was probably discussed already... can someone link me to the post? Does the [deep litter] bedding need to be turned/mixed regularly and why if it does? At the moment we use hay and pine shavings. Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have a link, but i've used the deep litter method for 3 years now. I have a dirt floor, it works best for the deep litter method. Once a week i sprinkle the DE (food grade) all over the floor of the coop, then I sprinkle a fresh layer of wood shavings on top. That's it, they do the turning and mixing themselves. It's a lot easier to do this while they are kept outside, they are nosy and like to be under foot while you sprinkle....LOL It dries up the poo, and really keeps the odor down and makes for great mulch. I rake it all up once a year, usually in the spring, and if you have a large flock, I would do it again in the fall. You don't have to put a lot of shavings on top, just enough to cover the floor. I hope this helps.

Thanks! Mine don't seem to turn it much, that is why I am asking. I could sprinkle sprouts (that I feed in the morning) so they would scratch more... but under roosts there is very thick layer of hay/shavings.

Mine don't turn it much themselves either, so I just rack and stir up every few days. I have 25 hens in one coop and only need to change out shavings every 4-6 weeks (depending how wet or dry the weather is.)

Deep litter should be turned (i do it once weekly) to aerate and mix it up. It does help to have the chickens scratch it up too, but there may be areas where they don't do it or the bedding is too thick for them to get through. I just take shovel or heavy fork and flip it around.

Ventilation can be confusing. In cold weather I keep a window cracked open all the time on the wall farthest from the perches, on the south wall (lee side most of the time). the pop door is open on all but the coldest, windiest days, and closed at night to prevent cross drafts. Summer all the windows are open all the time.

Back
Top Bottom