Deep litter method

Pics
I thought the same thing-- I use a little shavings on areas to clean off easily. Like a poop board, and put in the compost or I fling it over the grass areas as instant fertilizer. IMO too much poo for the area can be problematic, so I think if you can remove the majority of the poo, you can see how your system is working. I have one coop with a lot of birds-- they prefer that coop for some reason so it is crowded. A mix of dry fall eaves and poo is not working well--but I"m still trying out different recipes!!

I'm wondering if ashes function much like lime for ammonia control. Does anyone know?? FOr some reason I'm thinking about old fashion soap making using the lye in the ashes . . . maybe totally off here.
idunno.gif

I use ashes all year for ammonia control. Plus it keeps many of the pests that need moisture under control as well. The coop will get really dusty, but in the long run, humidity and ammonia smell are controlled better with ash.

Wow, there is a LOT of information on this thread.
ep.gif

I have read about 90% of the information on here and I am so excited to get my coop finished and play around with the DLM recipe that will work best for my girls.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with all of us. Very helpful!

Hello

I am in the pacific northwest (Vancouver) and new to BYC. I would like to use the deep litter method. We have a small coop with four hens. Even though the hen house portion is covered, I am worried that our rainy winters (and sometimes rainy spring and fall) could lead to mouldy litter. Does anyone have experience in this?

Thanks!

Welcome !! I live in New York where we get a lot of rain lately and lots of snow. I use the DL and never had a problem with moldy DL. I turn it over once a week and during the wet/snowy weather I put plastic up outside the run to keep out the wind and moisture but left enough open for ventilation. I started last August and this spring I have wonderful compost. I even found a live earth worm in the middle of December happily living in the soil below the DL.

Should the shavings be a different depth during the summer vs the winter? Also, how much DE should I use when initially starting my DLM? Thank you for any info ;)

Should the shavings be a different depth during the summer vs the winter? Also, how much DE should I use when initially starting my DLM? Thank you for any info
wink.png
No I dont think the depth matters for the seasons. Most people clean them out once a year to put in their runs, compost, etc.

I dont use any DE. Its all natural clipping, grass, leaves, shavings and some peat moss is all I use. Oh and wood ashes that get thrown about since thats what they dust bathe in.

I've mentioned before that my "deep litter" method is actually a sub-ground level dirt floor composting pit. Here are some pics of me removing the compost for the Garden.

I've already removed 8 wheelbarrows by the time of this pic and just now getting down to
the dirt floor in one corner.

Brown gold

Hens checking on my excavation progress, one in the nest box laying an egg cussed
me out the whole time.

And I'll be tilling this in tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom