Deep litter method

Pics
This is going to sound ridiculous... but where would I acquire large amounts of Pine Shavings for litter? Or is chopped up hay just fine? I have access to lots of hay but I cannot find large enough bags of pine shavings and if I can, they don't ship to Canada. If anyone has any suggestions that would be VERY helpful... I get my 6 Rouen ducks in 1 week, I have 8 4 week old chickies (2 Easter Eggers, 2 Silver Lace Wyndotte, 2 Barred Rock, and 2 Blue Orpintons). I also have 2 3 week old turkeys. They will be housed in a converted garage (all separate). I would ideally like to use hay, what is the verdict.. is hay okay??

It depends on who you ask.
Hay is a bit more difficult to deal with, it tends to get matted up.
I use grass clippings and pine shavings together to keep a "looser" bedding mixture.
I do have a very open coop so my litter gets wet when it rains, the looser mixture drys much better.

I can tell you this, the ducks will make 5 times the mess those chicks do!
Duckies are Yucky!

AS well, they don't scratch or dig like chickens, helping you turn the litter.

With the small amount of birds you have, you should not be needing "large" amounts of pine shavings?

The only bags of pine shavings I can get my hands on are 5$ for a ittty bitty bag that doesn't even cover my brooder floor. Let alone an 8x10 coop.. I also was wondering if Flax Shive would be okay. I have had it suggested to me before and I know it is poultry safe... The ducks are for my hubby, he is now getting on board with my little zoo I have started.

First and foremost, Keep that hubby happy! Lol
Down here I buy a 9 cubic foot bag of shavings for $5. 2 of those are a great top cite in my 12x12 coop.
Sounds like those may not be available to you? Here they are easy to find at farm stores and big box stores. Lowes, Wal Mart, Etc.
Do you have a saw mill nearby? They may have shavings available?
You can also use horse stall bedding pellets, they are more absorbent and stay " fresh" longer, but are quite a bit more expensive.

I alternate topping off pine shavings and grass clippings, about 2-1. 2 weeks of pine shavings then a week of grass.

Not sure on the flax? Never heard of it being used? I have heard of using chopped corn stalks.

Do you have a chipper shredder & a few pine trees? Lol!

Last edited:
Hubby suggested I use this FlaxBed Product, their website says that it is poultry safe but I have never heard of anyone using it before..
This is what it looks like. To me it looks like a combination of pine shavings and straw. It is super cheap and readily available. I just don't want my little ones choking.

The only bags of pine shavings I can get my hands on are 5$ for a ittty bitty bag that doesn't even cover my brooder floor. Let alone an 8x10 coop.. I also was wondering if Flax Shive would be okay. I have had it suggested to me before and I know it is poultry safe... The ducks are for my hubby, he is now getting on board with my little zoo I have started.

Did you check at the feed store or Tractor Supply? They sell large compressed bags of pine shavings for about $5. I forget how many square feet they cover but I only need one for my 8 x 10 ft. coop. Sounds like you're looking at the small bags from the pet store used for gerbils and such.

You need to visit a farm supply and/or feed store for the bigger bags.

Did you check at the feed store or Tractor Supply? They sell large compressed bags of pine shavings for about $5. I forget how many square feet they cover but I only need one for my 8 x 10 ft. coop. Sounds like you're looking at the small bags from the pet store used for gerbils and such.

You need to visit a farm supply and/or feed store for the bigger bags.
They don't sell them in my area. Everyone else in this area orders them by the truckload/skid load. I most certainly do not need that large of an amount. We are a very small rural community, and I have checked the feed supply store and they don't carry bedding. We don't have a tractor supply here either.

How much is super cheap? Lol
Those bags are just over 3 cubic feet, so 3 of them is a bit more coverage than a bale of shavings. For me, they'd have to be under $2.00 a bag.

Another newbie here...
(I will receive my new babies in a couple weeks)
I've been reading up on the deep litter method, and it sounds great in theory, but I'm still not sure I'm sold on it. All my questions have been asked and answered here. And it seems it would be more cost effective. But being the anal person that I am, I'm just not sure I will be able to leave that stuff in there a whole year! I'm guessing I can just give it a shot, and if a few months down the road I decide it's just not a method that works for me, I guess I could just clean it all out and start over...
Hmmm guess I just answered my own question lol. But feel free to respond anyway. I can always use the input!
wee.gif

Good Day
I started with an old stall in a small barn. When I took the inside wall off because screws were not holding I found lots of rot, a whole walls worth.
I replaced the wall studs with PT placed insulation then 1/4" galv wire over that with a plywood covering on both sides.
Once complete I painted all the walls with mildew resistant heavy duty
one coat paint from HD.
The floor was done the same way
6 months with no problems but I did make sure there were no roof leaks.
Text me if you want to see pics [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom