Deep litter method

Pics
I have the south side the most open with some good, large ventilation on the north side as well. East and west sides are closed off with plastic and tarp with some small ventilation at the bottom on the plastic side but nothing on the tarp side. We rarely get winds from the south or the north in the winter months, mostly westerly or easterly winds here on the ridge on which we live, with the ridge itself running north to south. In this way, most of the winds are blocked in my coop but with good air flow still from the end portions of the coop...which pretty much explains ventilation vs. drafts in a coop. I can stand in that open ended coop on a very cold and windy day and it feels several degrees warmer in the coop with not a whisper of a breeze blowing actively through the coop itself. Just a good, passive air exchange that keeps everything fresh while still staying warm.

I find this very interesting that once a particular area is selected for a barn, toss out the ag books and go with the inherent local microclimate. Each of us have different factors that create the windy side.

We are located on the north slope, with a river at the bottom , about 1/2 mile or so away. THe air flows up hill fast enough to blow chaff in my face when I toss hay to the horses. PITA. When the air cools it heads back down the hill. I can't win!! lol Our weather comes from the west; the worst storms from the northeast; many warm rain storms come up from the south. I haven't worked out the best situation yet-- still working on it.

I find this very interesting that once a particular  area is selected for a barn, toss out the ag books and go with the inherent local microclimate.  Each of us have different factors that create the windy side. 

Egggggzactry!!
Each of us lives On a different hill, valley, mountain, plain......
I'm in SE Kansas. Kansas is a Sioux word for "People of the southern winds"....guess which side of our coop is windy?

However, the bitter cold winds blow in from the north. Therefor my north wall is solid and south wall is not, blocks the bitter north winds and in the heat of sure lets those southern winds move through.

Our new coops I am still deciding on hoop coops or a more robust building. I really love Bee's hoop coop, the design and functionality are awesome. We do get very strong winds so I am concerned about the ruggedness of tarps. I imagine in the end ill go with a hybrid design of some sorts.

I think it would be very easy to outfit these hoop coops with a roof of corrugated tin. It has the flexibility necessary to conform to the curve and the durability to withstand winds with the right fasteners. I calculate it would take 7 full sheets of corrugated tin roofing to cover my coop adequately...but I'm too cheap to spring for it. The current tarp has been in place for two years and I expect to replace it this next summer if I am still here in this place. The firring strips I used to keep the top of the tarp down tight to the coop really made a difference in the movement of the tarp.

A good investment would be a canvas tarp...about $100 worth of tarp would cover this coop and last for years upon years with the right water sealant and properly fastened.

Hey, I'm having a bit of a quandry. My DL has been working GREAT until the last 4-5 days. It's been like 90+% humidity and very foggy, which is unusual for this area, especially this time of year. My coop is EATING bedding to stay dry.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Some canvas tarps come already water resistant but they sell fluoropolymer-based waterproofing agents to recondition these and advise to clean it thoroughly with soap and water, let dry completely and then paint on the waterproofing horizontally first,let dry and then paint it on vertically. Some advise the second coat to run diagonally.

I will have to check into that. I have been toying with a design that has solid top, 2' solid walls and 4' of open walls. Then have canvas covers for winter that would go up as shades in summer.
There are some large canvas tarps on CL for good price, would do all sides of a 16X16 coop for $100....:)

th.gif
Wow!!! What a score!!! Lucky you! I'd definitely go with those instead of a more expensive roofing. I'd do an underlayer of plastic on the roof part and then place the tarp over it...that's how mine is constructed, so that even if the tarp leaks it has a second layer of waterproofing for insurance.

Here's a pic of it, before the tarp was applied. The plastic is attached to firring strips placed on the inside, then when the tarp was applied, another set of firring strips was applied to the outside to keep the tarp snug to the top of the coop and to prevent wind shearing. I wish now that I had extended that plastic layer about a foot farther down the sides for better guarding against leaks.

Someone had suggested to me to use old billboards signs. Its water proof & heavy duty. I couldnt find any around me but found an online site. I think with my takes I am going to pick one up & redo the coop with it.

I purchased a heavy duty tarp that was suppose to be mildew proof, water proof, artic proof, etc. But I have some green mold spots on the edges and the one night it was in the single digits it formed ice crystals on the inside and a couple hens had a frozen feather on their back. I am thinking from the ice crystals falling? Ventilation in fine in the coop. I think they crystals just formed because it was so cold. Its holding up wonderfully and easy to cut when making it fit the hoop coop. But I don't know how many years its going to hold up.

Back
Top Bottom