Deep litter method

Pics
I think plastic has the tendency to form condensation more so than any other material and then the condensation freezes...that's why I didn't plastic my whole coop under the tarp and used tarps that could breath a little. I don't know how much the canvas tarps would breath with the water proofing, if at all, nor do I know how much they would hold potential moisture from inside humidity.

I looked up the materials they use on yurts and found one company, but I bet they don't sell small quantities: http://duro-last.com/

Quote:

Some canvas tarps come already water resistant but they sell fluoropolymer-based waterproofing agents to recondition these and advise to clean it thoroughly with soap and water, let dry completely and then paint on the waterproofing horizontally first,let dry and then paint it on vertically. Some advise the second coat to run diagonally.

Someone had suggested to me to use old billboards signs. Its water proof & heavy duty. I couldnt find any around me but found an online site. I think with my takes I am going to pick one up & redo the coop with it.

I purchased a heavy duty tarp that was suppose to be mildew proof, water proof, artic proof, etc. But I have some green mold spots on the edges and the one night it was in the single digits it formed ice crystals on the inside and a couple hens had a frozen feather on their back. I am thinking from the ice crystals falling? Ventilation in fine in the coop. I think they crystals just formed because it was so cold. Its holding up wonderfully and easy to cut when making it fit the hoop coop. But I don't know how many years its going to hold up.
wow-- I"m amazed that you get to use tarps as roofing material-- we are required to use solid wood or metal roofing and sides. Makes everything here rediculously expensive. I like the flexibility of a tarp as I could use an old one for one last job before tossing it away. OUCH-- I hate to throw anything away. We use scrap plywood from a box company and recycle it into coops. Glad you all get to use tarps for the roofing.

We tried collecting old signage-- just difficult to collect enough of them.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd use a tarp and paint it to look like wood!
gig.gif
I can't imagine living anywhere that someone could dictate what I use for roofing on anything I built on my own land...that would send me into a pitchfork and torch village riot.

I think plastic has the tendency to form condensation more so than any other material and then the condensation freezes...that's why I didn't plastic my whole coop under the tarp and used tarps that could breath a little.  I don't know how much the canvas tarps would breath with the water proofing, if at all, nor do I know how much they would hold potential moisture from inside humidity. 

I looked up the materials they use on yurts and found one company, but I bet they don't sell small quantities:  http://duro-last.com/

I love the look of yurts. Sure wish I could build one as a chicken coop.

I find this very interesting that once a particular  area is selected for a barn, toss out the ag books and go with the inherent local microclimate.  Each of us have different factors that create the windy side. 

Egggggzactry!!

Each of us lives On a different hill, valley, mountain, plain......

I'm in SE Kansas. Kansas is a Sioux word for "People of the southern winds"....guess which side of our coop is windy?

However, the bitter cold winds blow in from the north. Therefor my north wall is solid and south wall is not, blocks the bitter north winds and in the heat of sure lets those southern winds move through.

Our new coops I am still deciding on hoop coops or a more robust building. I really love Bee's hoop coop, the design and functionality are awesome. We do get very strong winds so I am concerned about the ruggedness of tarps. I imagine in the end ill go with a hybrid design of some sorts.

Some canvas tarps come already water resistant but they sell fluoropolymer-based waterproofing agents to recondition these and advise to clean it thoroughly with soap and water, let dry completely and then paint on the waterproofing horizontally first,let dry and then paint it on vertically.  Some advise the second coat to run diagonally. 

Someone had suggested to me to use old billboards signs. Its water proof

wow-- I"m amazed that you get to use tarps as roofing material-- are are required to use solid wood or metal roofing and sides. Makes everything here rediculously expensive.  I like the flexibility of a tarp as I could use an old one for one last job before tossing it away. OUCH-- I hate to throw anything away. We use scrap plywood from a box company and recycle it into coops.  Glad you  all get to use tarps for the roofing. 

We tried collecting old signage-- just difficult to collect enough of them. 

They are not permament structures so no regulations on how they are built only how far from property lines and number of hens. Not that I move mine but I can if need be

If I were you I'd use a tarp and paint it to look like wood!
gig.gif
I can't imagine living anywhere that someone could dictate what I use for roofing on anything I built on my own land...that would send me into a pitchfork and torch village riot.

They are not permament structures so no regulations on how they are built only how far from property lines and number of hens. Not that I move mine but I can if need be

Mine would be mobile except for the solid side requirements-- makes it to heavy to move without a tractor. ANd I don't have a tractor!

Agriculture is a dying venture here in Massachusetts. Better to move north to VT or NH or ME.

yuckyuck.gif
THenorthern most states are more pro ag. VT is one of the best from what I can determine.

Mass is soooo democratic that . . . . everything has a rule. Maybe it is that it is so old it has had more time to dream up laws and enact them. People don't follow common sense any more, just laws.
th.gif

In my town I can't have more than 3 dogs-- more than that requires a kennel license. Also,NO packs of dogs running around here at all. I have been looking for another dog and the rescues have a scary number of dogs available. . . . several are from the south. I wondered why so many coming up from the south??

Ayep. Seems like the south knew that all along and just weren't real successful at driving the point home. Now we just rebel by being all the redneck we can be.
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Question on using ashes for dusting. Will any type of ash do or does it need to be wood ash? We did some pine straw burning over the weekend and thought I'd shovel it up to save it for my chicks when I get them in.

Back
Top Bottom