Deep litter method

Pics
Quote:
Dang, Bee, that's brilliant! The coop is already covered in 1/2" hardware cloth under the tarps. I wonder if I could adobe just the top half of the coop? I pull the tarp out on both sides in the summer and I wouldn't want to lose that airflow. Adobe does need stabilizing or it washes away in the rain. So it would probably have to be stuccoed on the outside. Hmm... This requires some thought...

FYI, zip ties don't last long here, either. Some only lasted a few months. I had to go back and replace the most critical zip ties with baling wire.

Dang, Bee, that's brilliant! The coop is already covered in 1/2" hardware cloth under the tarps. I wonder if I could adobe just the top half of the coop? I pull the tarp out on both sides in the summer and I wouldn't want to lose that airflow. Adobe does need stabilizing or it washes away in the rain. So it would probably have to be stuccoed on the outside. Hmm... This requires some thought...

FYI, zip ties don't last long here, either. Some only lasted a few months. I had to go back and replace the most critical zip ties with baling wire.

Magic, if you do this, please be sure and share pictures as well as the recipe.

Magic, if you do this, please be sure and share pictures as well as the recipe.

Oh my! What a filthy job! These folk made one somewhere over in the Tibet area (I think). Just thought I'd keep the fire alive!

What do you think... cattle panels to hold it all up, maybe a center support too, covered by roof felt and then chicken wire to press all this mess into? hmmm

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun!
pop.gif

Just kicked up over 6 inches of packed DL & added a large bag of leaves, grass & pine needles. The girls can't decide where to scratch first lol hoping since I kicked up the packed stuff they will find some bugs or worms. Last year I had live earthworms when it was in the teems :)

If I were you I'd use a tarp and paint it to look like wood!
gig.gif
I can't imagine living anywhere that someone could dictate what I use for roofing on anything I built on my own land...that would send me into a pitchfork and torch village riot.
gig.gif
lol you got me chuckling out loud AGAIN! You are a HOOT!
gig.gif
I'm with you but I am so afraid it is coming faster than we would like! :(

lol you got me chuckling out loud and YOU would say that! lol looks like a muddy mess to me. I don't like getting THAT nasty! lol

I don't mind getting dirty while choring and definitely not in a group working..imagine how good it feels to stomp that straw into the mud with your bare feetsies! Squishing between the toes...heavenly! I'd feel like a little kid again.

gig.gif
lol you got me chuckling out loud AGAIN! You are a HOOT!
gig.gif
I'm with you but I am so afraid it is coming faster than we would like! :(

You can say that again.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom