Deep litter method

Very rich looking! The leaves really make the difference, don't they? My pine shavings used to get very dark brown but still didn't have that earthiness and freshness that the leaves had when they broke down. They just convert so much quicker and also assimilate into the garden soils just as quickly.

I haven't gotten my chickens yet, still working on the coop, but I did rake up 10 40 gallon bags of leaves a few days ago. Once the remaining leaves dry out from this rain, I plan on raking up more to use once I get them.

I have tried the deep litter method. I thought I had it but it just didn't seem to be working.
People where saying they had a mulch like thing?? Mine was just dry and dusty, do I need to add more???

Sounds like you need a little moisture if its dusty, do you live somewhere where it's warm?

Mine is a black soil like consistency a few inches down. I add leaves, grass clippings and shavings. I add stuff about twice a month. When I add stuff I tend to rake the DL into a big pile so the girls scatter the DL around

I have tried the deep litter method. I thought I had it but it just didn't seem to be working.
People where saying they had a mulch like thing?? Mine was just dry and dusty, do I need to add more???

Sounds like it's a bit dry and moisture in deep litter is a difficult thing to get just right. If I use nothing but pine shavings, it's too dry. It's better when I add raked leaves to the mix, guess they have a bit of moisture left in them. It's best when I add a few shovels of dirt to the mix. The dirt not only adds a touch of moisture, it introduces all those little critters and microbes that eats the leaves and litter, so it's a double-bonus.

Ditto those posts. Add some bedding that has it's own moisture like hay, leaves, grass, etc. You can even try throwing a bucket of water in there now and again...I empty the chicken's water into the middle of the coop when we are having a dry season. There's a balance that needs to be struck and when you find it you will then know how to maintain it, as you can instantly tell when the balance is off once you've had a good DL previously.

Ditto those posts. Add some bedding that has it's own moisture like hay, leaves, grass, etc. You can even try throwing a bucket of water in there now and again...I empty the chicken's water into the middle of the coop when we are having a dry season. There's a balance that needs to be struck and when you find it you will then know how to maintain it, as you can instantly tell when the balance is off once you've had a good DL previously.

I've been using deep litter for ever a year now, here in northern CA, and it IS difficult to get the moisture right, as during our dry season we get literally NO rain for 6 months or more (more this year, it's still incredibly dry!) -- and i don't have a lawn, so do not have lots of grass clippings or other moist plant material to throw in during the dry season (i've tried growing a cover crop to throw in there, but the deer just eat it). i'm currently experimenting with adding water on occasion, and am going to prospect around for other sources of more moist material that i could add in large-ish quantity...

I guess I am doing a modified deep letter method....

Have a 6x8 coop and 8 hens. Mine have unlimited access to a 8x16 run, and I do let them free range quite bit during the day.

They all roost in the coop at night and for the most part all laying is done in the coop/nesting boxes.

I have 6"+/- pine shavings on the coop floor (wood floor with vinyl covering) that I just stir weekly.

I have a poop board under my roosting bars. I keep 1" or so of fresh pine shavings on this poop board. Every 10 days or so I scoop the poop under roosting bars into a 5 gal bucket and dump into my compost pile. my guess is that 99% + is caught on the board and goes out to the pile. I am then stirring the shavings on the floor regularly and plan to clean it all out in the spring if need be. I am not getting composting now but do think the ammonia in the fllor shavings in somewhat neutralizing and is not strong at all.

No food or water goes in my coop! all outside in the run.

Back
Top Bottom