Deep litter method

Regarding the dryness. As I have recently learned, the litter needs moisture. Not a lot but some. My coop is about 5x12 and I dumped 8 gallons of water in the original layer and mixed it very well. I was going to pull out the original layer and compost it as I thought it was done. You can see it here:

Boy was I wrong! I put it back in, added water and am very pleased with how well it's doing. Ammonia was strong at first but I was able to squelch it. There is heat being generated and the birds have a layer of leaves to play with and more ready to go inside. So, some moisture is needed but not a lot.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that helps! Thanks :)

I have been using the deep litter for 2 months with a new flock of RIR and Barred Rocks. First time with deep litter. Seems to be going well. Just curious - should the coop smell like poo? How often do I add shavings?

Hi! Does everyone on here have a "house" for their chickens to go into? We have a Horse barn & made the "stalls" into separate coops, so there is no house per se. The whole thing is covered. It is also pretty open. I'm not sure the DL method would work for what i have. Right now we are using river sand for litter, which some old timers said is good to keep pests such as mites away. Do you have many problems with pests with the DL method? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I will try to post pics of my coop tomorrow. :)

Hi! Does everyone on here have a "house" for their chickens to go into? We have a Horse barn & made the "stalls" into separate coops, so there is no house per se. The whole thing is covered. It is also pretty open. I'm not sure the DL method would work for what i have. Right now we are using river sand for litter, which some old timers said is good to keep pests such as mites away. Do you have many problems with pests with the DL method? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I will try to post pics of my coop tomorrow. :)
I converted two of my stalls into an open air coop. It's 10x20. I'm in the process of adding an outside run to the coop, but that is taking it's own sweet time. Click on the "my coop" under my avatar for more info on my coop building.

I'm using deep litter with a dirt floor. The only problem I'm having is my litter is dry. During the summer I would hose it down 2-3 times per week. It never stinks, it's just real dusty.

So does deep litter rot wood ( wood shed coop) if it is on it?
I would think that it would not. A major benefit of deep litter is that it is dry. Dry enough to counter the moisture of the chicken feces. Many times you will see people say that they have to spray water on it occasionally because it is to dry. Even if there is moisture on the ground level I would think that it would not be enough to be concerned about. Of course, that is only my $.02 and I am not an expert by any means...

I don't have problems with pests in my DL but I tend to dump the left over wood ash from their dust bath into the DL
So does deep litter rot wood ( wood shed coop) if it is on it?
I have heard people say it will over time. You need some moisture in your DL in order for it to break down properly. I have heard of people that have put old linoleum down, painted it & rubber coating on their wood floors & partially up the walls to protect it from breaking down.

Back
Top Bottom