Deep litter method

I know all about loving a spotless house.  You can eat off the floor at mine!  Yep, there's some balogna under the fridge, an orange segment next to the dishwasher, chips and popcorn in the couch cushions, and maybe even half an apple under the bed.

Ha ha ha ha lmao. Too funny! At one time my house really was pretty darn clean. We had a basement so anything started looking cluttered I sent a box to the basement. Easy peasy! We moved tho, and this house has 1 closet. No garage. No basement. No storage. I hate it. The house always seems a mess. Plus our puppy is a slow learner lol.

I haven't started my coop yet, because my design keeps changing. The run is no better. What was supposed to be a simple square chain-link run evolved into something a little unconventional. It evolved into a single 4x4 post branching out like a wagon wheel into four 8x8 ft sections, with the fourth section divided in half for some "Chicken TV," adding extra square footage to the run.

This was my original design...

I just can't leave well enough alone, so it modified into this because all the enclosures I found were either 4ft or 6ft tall. I live in an HOA which you can see by all the surrounding houses, so I chose to build something 5ft tall since I'm built low to the ground at 5'9". Structures aren't supposed to be seen over the wall and offensive to neighbors Five of my neighbors are encouraging me to go for it since I offered them free eggs. I can't eat all the eggs from six hens every week. Plus they all have noisy, yapping dogs, so noise shouldn't be issue.

The six bottom sections are one-piece that slid down into fence/deck brackets that had hardwire attached and extended out 18 inches, almost like laying screen doors on their sides.The one side shown is just resting in the brackets and hasn't been screened in yet. The top half will have extra supports as you can see the brackets on the underside of the top piece.

This is what it's shaping into being...

The 4x8 observation deck is adequate for my needs, leaving more room for the chickens. The large opening in the center will be the gate/door which I have yet to design. I got alittle fancy and encased some heavy concrete pavers accross the entrance and deck and added a park bench with a wooden railing behind it.

As you can see in the last two pics, the base is is 2x6 all around and you can see the inside four sections which may blend into one if I do the deep litter thing. I have enough 1/4" hardware cloth to finish everything, even the entire top. I may have to install supports to keep the top from sagging.

This is just the structure. The coop design is constantly changing, and still have to consider all the extra ammenities, toys and things to keep them entertained, even considering solar/watering system, audio etc. I've read in older posts that chickens like NPR Radio. Thank goodness I have a newer house with multiple outdoor outlets and faucets. The possibilities are endless.

Okay, sorry for another essay. You'll be quizzed on it next week...LOL! --BB

P.S. There is sand in the run which I'm still debating about keeping. I may have to go back and re-read the older posts about the pros/cons of using sand.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Last edited:
OK Bobby, that's not (gonna be) a coop and run(s), that's (gonna be) a chicken mansion and ground(s)
ep.gif
!
Lookin' real good so far
clap.gif
I am a bit curious though as to where the coop will be placed to access all those (3 possible that I see) individual runs/enclosures
hu.gif
Logically, the coop proper should be located in the center to allow access to the surrounding individual runs, but that would block the viewing platform w/bench
barnie.gif
... not to mention the fact that there really isn't an obvious place in the center to place a coop...

With the 90 degree corners inside the "entrance", I don't know how you'll access the top left enclosure (as seen in the picture, if the three interior areas are separated to individual runs) unless it is strictly from the outside. It doesn't appear that there are outside access points to the runs? Anyway, if the entire interior enclosure area is going to be one large open area (except for the entrance area in front of the viewing platform), then all these questions become moot
smile.png
. Maybe I'm over-engineering this
th.gif
?! I got/went a little overboard on my own setup...
Anyway... looking forward to seeing the finished coop/run(s)! looks awesome so far!

Hello all!

We are new to this whole chicken thing. I am hoping to get some input from some experienced chicken people.
big_smile.png
Below I have inserted a picture of the shed we plan on using.

Ok so we are going to turn our old garden shed into our coop. It was initially going to be the kennel for our daughters 4 huskies, but I digress.
he.gif
Anyway we have a 6 foot high chain link fence around it that we are going to partition off part of for the run. I know we have coyotes, red fox, and a hawk that likes to sit in one of our pines and view the surrounding fields. We are not going to be able to put a top on the whole thing because there is a rather large pine tree behind the garage (larger building in the photo). And with the shed/coop having a rounded top I am kind of wondering how to go about "topping" off the area directly behind it which will become the run. We currently have leaner arms and chicken wire running along the perimeter of the kennel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also I am wondering if it would still be considered "free range" if we allow the chicken access to the rest of the kennel area which extends behind both the shed and garage to the opposite side of the big pine tree?

Hello all!

We are new to this whole chicken thing. I am hoping to get some input from some experienced chicken people.
big_smile.png
Below I have inserted a picture of the shed we plan on using.

Ok so we are going to turn our old garden shed into our coop. It was initially going to be the kennel for our daughters 4 huskies, but I digress.
he.gif
Anyway we have a 6 foot high chain link fence around it that we are going to partition off part of for the run. I know we have coyotes, red fox, and a hawk that likes to sit in one of our pines and view the surrounding fields. We are not going to be able to put a top on the whole thing because there is a rather large pine tree behind the garage (larger building in the photo). And with the shed/coop having a rounded top I am kind of wondering how to go about "topping" off the area directly behind it which will become the run. We currently have leaner arms and chicken wire running along the perimeter of the kennel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also I am wondering if it would still be considered "free range" if we allow the chicken access to the rest of the kennel area which extends behind both the shed and garage to the opposite side of the big pine tree?
We have a 6 foot chain link area that is partitioned off for our chickens, ducks, guineas and turkeys. We also have coyotes, raccoons and birds of prey in our area, (a mated pair of coyotes and their pup live in a ravine that runs along our property). We have been unsuccessful shooting or trapping them. Since we live in a desert climate we have no sheds inside of our fencing for the birds. What we do have, are the roosting, nesting and rooster closets enclosed with tarps on the fences and overhead. Overhead the entire enclosures are covered in chicken wire, as well, so that nothing can get in, by climbing the fence, and nobody can get out. We have also sunk 12" wide boards into the ground all along the base of the fencing. As time goes on, we plan to replace the overhead tarps with plywood and asphalt shingles. We will also enclose, on the outer sides of the pens, where the roosting and nesting areas are with plywood.. These areas of the pens will only be small areas, as in our climate it's not so much our needing to keep our birds warm as to keeping them cool. The enclosures afford shade in the summer and keep the rain (such as it is) off them in the winter. You sound like you have a good plan.....do put in a ceiling of chicken wire or hardware cloth to keep the unwanted critters out and your critters in. You would be amazed what you can do with a bit of chicken wire, hardware cloth, duct tape and tarps. Also, we have several inches of sand on the ground in our enclosures. It makes mucking out the pens much easier as all we need to do is scoop with a horse manure rake that has 1/4 in. hardware cloth attached; much like a cat box litter scoop. Hope this was helpful and I didn't run off at the mouth, too much.
wink.png

@CATRYNA Thanks that is helpful, have you had many losses with your current set-up?
None. In the past when we allowed them to free range we had some losses to coyotes and raccoons. A couple of months ago the coyote pair, that lives, nearby jumped our 4 foot back yard fence, came onto our courtyard and made off with one of our cats. But, so far they have been unable to gain access to our chickens, ducks, guineas and turkeys. I did forget to mention that all of the 6 foot chain link fencing has 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the bottom 3' of the fencing, making it impossible, especially for raccoons, to reach inside the fence.

It's actually one big enclosure. It's just the base boards that make it look like three separate areas. With deep litter or whatever, you won't see those boards. Only the deck area will be closed off from the rest of the run. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Back
Top Bottom