Deep litter method

What ^they^ said
thumbsup.gif

Thought I'd post a vid about DL here so that folks can get a bird's eye view of what it looks like after a winter of birds being confined on it due to deep snows. Pardon the amateur video skills...it is what it is.

0.jpg

Last edited:
BeeKissed, thanks so much! This was very very helpful. The texture resembled a compost heap that had been going for awhile. Nice to see the chickens digging under the roost with no trouble--I've wondered about that since there can be so much poop under there if it was okay for them.

Love, love, love the stress on air and even that moisture is not the death of a coop or shelter. Regarding the shelter there appeared to be no hardware cloth and just more open (and inexpensive) fencing. Did I see that right? If so, what are you using for security and how is that working for you?

And let me say, I found your video skills to be A+.

Here's my baby chick brooder DL video:

BeeKissed, thanks so much! This was very very helpful. The texture resembled a compost heap that had been going for awhile. Nice to see the chickens digging under the roost with no trouble--I've wondered about that since there can be so much poop under there if it was okay for them.

Love, love, love the stress on air and even that moisture is not the death of a coop or shelter. Regarding the shelter there appeared to be no hardware cloth and just more open (and inexpensive) fencing. Did I see that right? If so, what are you using for security and how is that working for you?

And let me say, I found your video skills to be A+.

Here's my baby chick brooder DL video:

You saw it right. I have a dog living next to and around the coop, so no preds~except a black snake~get past his defenses. I use mothballs for the black snake when I have chicks on hand and that seems to keep them away.

That's been working great...it's only to keep chickens in and not keep predators out.

I'm glad you guys liked the vid! I'm always shy about putting my voice out there and my stuttering around about things, but on YT I've seen so much confusion as to what constitutes deep litter and those vids are very misleading, which will cause many failures at it and then folks saying it isn't worthy of doing.

Why, thank you!!
hugs.gif
I thought I sounded like I had Tourette's....
tongue.png
The last fella I talked to from up north(Minnesota) said that my accent was so southern that he couldn't understand a word I said. I'm thinking he hasn't really heard many southern accents because mine isn't THAT southern, I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom