Deep litter method

I wish I could send you some cuttings of my scented geraniums. They are supposed to repel mosquito's. We haven't had a problem with them here this summer. I don't know if it is the plant or not but I haven't seen any. You may want to try and pinch some cuttings from someone and see if it helps.

Wow, another storm? Send it our way......actually a miracle has happened and we are getting a little rain from a tropical storm that is passing thru. My lawn is sooo happy. We are on a tight water conservation program here and only allowed to water 2x a week. I have always loved grass and our lawn looks like a brown wasteland:hit dag-nabit.....

Marie

We are trying to get landlord to have some dirt brought in. He doesn't seem to want to. Boy, the imorovements he made to his own house recently look great. (No. I'm nit passive aggressive. Why do you ask?) I've been working every day. Right now, I'm just doin what I can to keep my head... Errrr chickens above water. They love eating the mosquitos.

I wish I could send all this rain someplace. Corn is supposed to be "knee high by fourth of july". Here it was bout 6ft or more high on the 4th. Today we got 2 separate storms and then just pouring rain. I keep seeing drought areas on the news and it seems like a whole other planet.

Marigolds are also supposed to help keep mosquitos away. As will a light spray of Listerine mouthwash.....

I'd see if I could find someone with truck or an SUV to haul a few pallets in. If you'll check craigslist, there's almost always someone who will give pallets away for free

I was thinking the same. I wonder how long it would take to grow marigolds from seed. My mom gave me a bunch but I didn't have time to plant them yet.

I get a day off mid week. I will see if I can borrow my dads truck then.

I'm so excited! Its Sunday. Weather man just said it should be dry wed-sat. 4 whole days of no rain! That's the 1st 4 day span with no rain since May.
ya.gif
Oh yea!
wee.gif

If you have it on hand, I'd just put a light layer in every now and again, especially if you intend to use that compost later on the garden and such. I made the mistake of rarely adding lime in my composted litter and when I used it this season for sprouting seedlings, I forgot to add that important thing in as well....as a result my seedlings were pretty malnourished(too acid) when I put them out in the garden and all kinds of trouble ensued from then on.

This year I'm going to do it differently...I'm going to add lime and potash as I go along so it will be a more well balanced mix in the end. The worms will benefit from it and so will the chickens. I'll be keeping a lime bucket in the coop and spreading a layer when the chickens are out on range, as often as I can think about it. That way I won't have to play catch up later.
What kind of lime will you be adding, sweet lime? We used to put lime in our horse stalls, but had to make sure it was all covered so that it wouldn't burn their hooves. I'm assuming it was the caustic lime, this was years ago.

What trouble did you have in your garden? I have some deep litter in my compost bin from the spring clean out. I plan on putting it in my raised beds this spring.

Lost my job today, so looks like I'll even be home to enjoy the dry weather.
hit.gif
Sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif
Lots of that going on around here. Hopefully it will change in another year or so.

I closed last night. Today was supposed to be last day we would be open. My daughter worked there too and needed those last few hours today. Shop got robbed overnight. So much for that. Now I'm worried they will think we were involved. The world sucks sometimes. This too shall pass but waiting to see that happen is no fun.

What kind of lime will you be adding, sweet lime? We used to put lime in our horse stalls, but had to make sure it was all covered so that it wouldn't burn their hooves. I'm assuming it was the caustic lime, this was years ago.

What trouble did you have in your garden? I have some deep litter in my compost bin from the spring clean out. I plan on putting it in my raised beds this spring.

Sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif
Lots of that going on around here. Hopefully it will change in another year or so.

Oh, I tried a different garden method this year and knew the first year would be pretty touchy, especially since I was supposed to establish this method in the fall and THEN plant into it in the spring. Since I didn't hear about it until this winter, I went ahead and established it~a Back to Eden garden~this spring...so the eventual pay off for this method won't come until NEXT year's garden season. Until then, putting malnourished seedlings into soil that's already crappy, but now has a nitrogen leaching layer of fresh wood chips on it, was a risky venture at best.

It will all be right next year.

Yes, I will add sweet lime.

Back
Top Bottom