Deep litter method

I believe what Ed was saying is you don't need any wire on the ground "inside" the run... Let the earth do what it's been doing for an eternity. The chickens will mix all of that "stuff" into the soil in their day to day scratching and dust bathing. All you have to do is occasionally add more "stuff" to the mix, either green (for moisture if too dry) or brown (pine chips, dead leaves, etc) if too wet. no sand, no DE, just nature: good microbes and worms. If they aren't 'turning it" to your satisfaction, just throw in a handful of BOSS or scratch grains and watch the digging and mixing commence! You can do the same thing inside the coop, if it's large enough, and you prefer to NOT have a work/cleaning intensive chickeneering experience. The only issue/problem with doing it (deep litter) inside is unless you add some good dirt as a starter, you won't have mother earth working with you. Done properly, there's little to no smell, little to no effort, and you end up with excellent garden ready compost. Pure chicken poop is so nitrogen rich, if applied directly on most plants, it will burn/kill them. As the level of the run deepens, at some point down the road, you can move the top layer aside and remove some of the deep rich soil from underneath, and have the best yard/garden in the neighborhood. All natural, no chemicals.

What you should (could) do to prevent diggers is place an apron of wire around the outside of the run, laying on the ground, then covered with dirt/gravel/rocks/pavers, etc. I used 2" x 4" welded wire fencing. The only potential downfall to that is if you have weasels/ferrets/mink in your neighborhood as they can fit through extremely small holes/openings and are excellent diggers. They will make a hole right through 2x4 fencing and be in the run in very short order. The one up side is they attack mostly at night, when your birds would most likely be inside the coop, secured from outside access. Keep in mind a weasel or stoat can fit through an opening about the size of a quarter. That's why some recommend burying 1/2" hardware cloth as the apron.The apron should reach out about 2 feet from the sides as not many animals will be smart enough to back up 2 feet and re-start digging. Alternatively, you could dig a trench and place the apron down vice out, but that is one heckuva lot more work (you may ask me how I know this). You can attach the apron to the bottom of your existing enclosure fencing with hog rings or simple baling wire, or you can cut the "head" run (horizontal/top wire) of wire off, and then bend the now available runners (the vertical wires of the fencing) to attach it. Here's pics of mine:

When you say it gets cold, and then mention "removing (closing it up) it" for insulation... it caught my attention. If you live in an area where temps go below freezing, unless you intend to heat the coop to maintain temps inside above freezing, you don't want to close it up at all, but rather OPEN it up. You want the inside temperature to equalize with the outside temp to prevent moisture condensation inside. the birds breath and poop over night creates a LOT of moisture. You'll be surprised. moisture at temps below freezing in an enclosed environment are what causes frost bite and freezing of extremities (combs, wattles, toes). You want as much positive air flow and venting as possible while trying to keep direct drafts off/away from the roost. Ideally low/near floor openings for in coming air and a LOT of open area/space above/high for the warm moist air to escape. This is especially critical in the winter. The chickens have year round down coats on (except when they molt of course), and they'll fluff them up and settle down and be quite content as long as there's no breeze "lifting their knickers" while they try to stay warm.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Latestarter! A skirt does sound like a better plan. Also, I didn't think about condensation, so thanks for pointing that out. I'm in South-Eastern, Coastal NC so it doesn't freeze here often...it's the heat that I see issue with...and humidity. The reason I planned for the tray was because when I was a kid (in NY), I had 2 roosters which my step father had built a coop for, and he had put the tray in it. It worked well for cleaning and for air flow.

The coop I planned has long but not tall (triangular, 3' long and 10" tall on the one side) opposite side windows at the top for hot air release, and Windows that can be covered at night on 3 walls. The fourth wall will mostly be taken up by the nesting boxes, which will have small windows also (which can also be shut at night).
With the "floor" having open wire, even if it has bedding on top, I really thought the sliding tray would be a good idea.

Oh...I also plan to have a fan and a home made "air conditioner" (fan and frozen water bottle) in there in the summer heat.

Right now I'm doing frozen water bottles insulated by hay for the few birds I have, plus a muddy area in the pen and changing their water 2 or more times a day, plus electrolytes in the water.

Last edited:
Speaking of aprons, my build is unconventional and I like to do things from scratch. It started out as a 4x4 center post and extending out like the spokes of a wheel into four 8x8 areas.

The entire lower half of my run is a series of "drop-in" 8-foot vertical panels with 1/4 inch hardware cloth extending out about 18 inches, but the apron will be covered once I build the planter boxes over them around the perimeter. You can see one screened panel slightly raised above the others. The others are in place but not screened and secured yet.

You can see the aprons on the far left and right of the pic.

The upper half will be braced with 2x4's and screened in.

This should be enough in my concrete HOA neighborhood. Having planter boxes with shrubbery and vegetation planted all around, I believe a critter would not be smart enough to back up and keep digging. Please ignore the sand, it will be history. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

I've decided on the deep litter method in the run and am loving it so far, but I've made a couple of mistakes. I used cedar chips, and Recently added some straw to what was already in there. I've also added some dirt, food scraps left over from their treats, grass clippings. do I need to worry about clearing out the cedar and straw or will it be ok to leave and just add to?

Also I have pine shavings in the coop that I clean out completely every so often. Can I add that to the run and mix it up? Right now I'm making a pile in the woods

Kristy

@Tiegrsi , Latestarter understood what I was trying to say. I wouldn't put any wire down inside the run, but rather an apron on the outside. An apron coming out from the fence parallel with the ground but buried a few inches will baffle an animal trying to dig in. You could get some heavy solid metal scrap sheets, bend it into an "L" and attach it to the run...I'd opt for the 2x4 welded wire first, though.

2x4 will stop dogs and coons from digging in. 1/2" hardware cloth will stop minks and rats...but dogs can dig through (and tear through walls made of it, too).

But again, I wouldn't put anything in the bottom of the run....I'd let the chickens dig to China if they want to.

A 4x4 coop should be good for four chickens. Is that how many you are planning on? If so, you don't need four nest boxes, two will be a big plenty.

Wire bottomed cage... If you're going to have wood chips on top of the floor why not just have a solid wood floor with maybe a scrap piece of linoleum on it instead of wire? I think it would be more durable and secure. Maybe build a poop board to go beneath the roost pole.

Ed

Last edited:
I'm PLANNING on about 4. With chicken math, I'm sure there will be more...maybe 8 at the most. If need be I can either extend the coop I'm planning or just make another down the road.

I currently have another coop and run with 2 EE cockerels (soon to be one) and 2 PR pullets, plus 2 hens (a production red and a black austrolorp) and a game mix pullet in quarantine because I got them only 4 days ago. The EE and PR's aren't actually mine, I'm chicken-sitting for a friend until the end of August. I also have 3 Americaunas and 2 RIRs in an incubator on day 11 now. I have a brooder all ready for them so I'm hopeful...

At any rate...
I'll be keeping the game mix and any pullet I get from the Americauna eggs...That would make 4 if they are all female. The other hens I got just to make the numbers more even for the birds I'm "babysitting" so the PR's don't get too abused. I'm currently looking for a home for one of the EEs.

Wow...that got long, fast.

Eventually I'd like to pick a breed and stick with it, maybe even breed some to increase numbers or show...I've been researching Javas recently.

So this is a second (but better) coop I have planned...there may eventually be a third.

Last edited:
OK... one more "minor" suggestion... I know, I understand....

If you are already planning a 4x4 coop, plywood, OSB, 2x4s, and just about all dimensional lumber comes ready made in 8 foot (by 4 foot in panels) lengths/widths. You could save yourself a LOT of time/effort/issues/bucks if you just start out right from the git-go with a 4' x 8' coop, 4' high... This will give you and the birds more "breathing" room inside, them to move, you to work/clean. It will have the side benefit of being ready made for your chicken math episodes that are already looming large and in living color
hide.gif
Just a thought...

And one minor "observation"... If you'll be doing a wire floor, ostensibly for ventilation, covering it with anything (wood chips) would defeat that purpose. I think that you'll find that most folks here that have tried wire floors have come to dislike them (unless they're able to hose them down to wash the poop through, cause it's NOT going to go through on its own). Also, there have been issues with birds getting their toenails caught and ripped off. Most of the poop you'll encounter inside the coop will be under the roost from them pooping at night. If you'll be using a drop board as you previously said, that can be removed and scraped clean every day or two, then you shouldn't have too much poop in the coop to deal with. Obviously if they're kept inside during bad weather, they'll make a mess...

Last edited:
I've decided on the deep litter method in the run and am loving it so far, but I've made a couple of mistakes. I used cedar chips, and Recently added some straw to what was already in there. I've also added some dirt, food scraps left over from their treats, grass clippings. do I need to worry about clearing out the cedar and straw or will it be ok to leave and just add to?

Also I have pine shavings in the coop that I clean out completely every so often. Can I add that to the run and mix it up? Right now I'm making a pile in the woods

Kristy

Hi Kristy. Have you ever heard of "cob" or Cob houses? OK, so "cob" is a mixture of straw with mud and cow patties/dung that hardens into/like brick
ep.gif
and is used in many 3rd world areas to build homes with. The "back to earth" faction here in the states has also gone down that road. So, when you add straw (which normally has a wax coating and breaks down very slowly) to the litter, you're possibly making a future nightmare for yourself. Especially if it's in a naturally wet/muddy area that doesn't get scratched up and turned/moved around by the birds or you. (Italics and underlines because some folks use straw and "like" it). Grass or hay is totally not a problem/issue as it breaks down very fast. Cedar, even the aromatic type, should NOT pose an issue in an outside area. Not all cedars are aromatic and only those that are cause potential breathing issues for the birds... if used in an enclosed area where the fumes will be concentrated. As an aside, those fumes can cause breathing issues for humans as well when in an enclosed area. Try standing inside a (aromatic) cedar closet with the door closed for any length of time... You'll quickly understand why it repels moths and other insects. You can absolutely add the pine shavings directly into the run. That's the ideal. Why waste all that nitrogen rich mix with carbon by throwing it into the woods? In a year or two (depending on # of chooks and size run), the soil beneath the top layer in your run will be better than any topsoil you could buy for your gardens. Keep up the good work! Your hens will love you for it
big_smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestarter View Post

OK... one more "minor" suggestion... I know, I understand....

If you are already planning a 4x4 coop, plywood, OSB, 2x4s, and just about all dimensional lumber comes ready made in 8 foot (by 4 foot in panels) lengths/widths. You could save yourself a LOT of time/effort/issues/bucks if you just start out right from the git-go with a 4' x 8' coop, 4' high... This will give you and the birds more "breathing" room inside, them to move, you to work/clean. It will have the side benefit of being ready made for your chicken math episodes that are already looming large and in living color :oops: Just a thought...

And one minor "observation"... If you'll be doing a wire floor, ostensibly for ventilation, covering it with anything (wood chips) would defeat that purpose. I think that you'll find that most folks here that have tried wire floors have come to dislike them (unless they're able to hose them down to wash the poop through, cause it's NOT going to go through on its own). Also, there have been issues with birds getting their toenails caught and ripped off. Most of the poop you'll encounter inside the coop will be under the roost from them pooping at night. If you'll be using a drop board as you previously said, that can be removed and scraped clean every day or two, then you shouldn't have too much poop in the coop to deal with. Obviously if they're kept inside during bad weather, they'll make a mess...

Yes, the original plan was made with consideration for the dimensions lumber comes in; and I wanted a raised coop, but not one that was so tall or wide that I couldn't reach into it to clean it. It was planned at 6' high, 2' off the ground. If I made it only 4' tall I would have a really hard time moving around inside it, (which I think I would have to do if it were 8' long), working slumped over is not something I want to do. :/ The run I have now is only 4' tall for the most part, with a slope up to 6' near the coop, and I have a hard time working in there....which is why I planned this run to be 6' tall and the coop to be 4x4. I'll play around with my blueprints a bit more and see what I can come up with.

)

I was planning to hose the wire floor when cleaning, but since everyone seems to think a flat floor would be better, perhaps I'll change that, as well.

I'm thankful for everyone's input...right now this coop is only doodles on quad paper, so it's easier to take everyone's advice and change it BEFORE it's built. ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom