Deep litter method

Diatomaceous Earth, the fossils of ancient diatoms. Very sharp edges that will slice open the exoskeletons of bugs causing them to "bleed" to death. Some people think it's great some people don't.

So we are about to turn into Fall, and will have tons of leaves down. However, my neighbors have some leaves bagged up in brown paper bags on the side of the road. The bags have been out in the sun and rain for maybe three months. Would those leaves be any good for the chickens at this point, or would they be moldy and full of bugs?

So we are about to turn into Fall, and will have tons of leaves down. However, my neighbors have some leaves bagged up in brown paper bags on the side of the road. The bags have been out in the sun and rain for maybe three months. Would those leaves be any good for the chickens at this point, or would they be moldy and full of bugs?

Full of bugs is a good thing and any mold they may have is already present in most of the leaves one rakes up, so just spread them out good to let them dry in the run and they should do fine as long as you have good airflow and sunshine to that area.

Full of bugs is a good thing and any mold they may have is already present in most of the leaves one rakes up, so just spread them out good to let them dry in the run and they should do fine as long as you have good airflow and sunshine to that area.

Thanks! Now I just have to be the crazy neighbor that goes over and asks if I can have their leaves for my chickens :)

Thanks! Now I just have to be the crazy neighbor that goes over and asks if I can have their leaves for my chickens :)

If they've been there that long, it's likely they'll be more than glad to have you take them! And any more they rake up this season...the season has only just begun!!!
wee.gif

Hi all!

I'm brand new to BYC (other than stalking your boards for the last few months). I grew up on a farm in Southern Ohio (still on that farm) with a minimum of 100 chickens at a time. However, it's been many years since we've had any birds. A month ago we got 6 chicks from MPC. Now, we are headed toward winter here and I'm very interested in the deep litter method.

I've read 6-12" of pine chips with straw on top, mix daily and sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth. Is this correct? I've read many threads, some say Diatomaceous Earth some say no Diatomaceous Earth, so I'm a little confused. Growing up our chickens lived in a metal building with a dirt floor and straw, so this part is all new to me.

Also, if I am supposed to use DE, is this the right kind?

Thanks for all your help,
Tina

Last edited:
Ok, newbie here.............you mean I don't have to clean my chicken coop once a week? I can use leaves from the ground to help cover the floor? We kind of fell into chickens so I didn't really have a lot of time to research a bunch of stuff. I felt bad I wasn't cleaning the coop more than once a week!

Hi all!

I'm brand new to BYC (other than stalking your boards for the last few months). I grew up on a farm in Southern Ohio (still on that farm) with a minimum of 100 chickens at a time. However, it's been many years since we've had any birds. A month ago we got 6 chicks from MPC. Now, we are headed toward winter here and I'm very interested in the deep litter method.

I've read 6-12" of pine chips with straw on top, mix daily and sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth. Is this correct? I've read many threads, some say Diatomaceous Earth  some say no Diatomaceous Earth, so I'm a little confused. Growing up our chickens lived in a metal building with a dirt floor and straw, so this part is all new to me.

Also, if I am supposed to use DE, is this the right kind? 

Thanks for all your help,
Tina

DE kills bugs, so no, you don't want it in deep litter. If you do deep bedding that is not composting in place but just gives you more time between clean outs, I guess you could use some DE. Personally, I use elemental sulfur in their feed and dustbath. Works much better than DE against more parasites and is not as hazardous. I do deep litter in their run and deep bedding in the coop that I clean out once a month (I have poop boards that catch a lot).

Last edited:
Ok, newbie here.............you mean I don't have to clean my chicken coop once a week? I can use leaves from the ground to help cover the floor? We kind of fell into chickens so I didn't really have a lot of time to research a bunch of stuff. I felt bad I wasn't cleaning the coop more than once a week!

Nope...you don't have to clean your coop once a week. I haven't cleaned my coop now for 4 yrs. Each spring and summer I will scoop out some soil/silt from the front of the coop and some of the really rich stuff being produced in the back of the coop, under the roosts, for my garden. Fully composted and looking like dirt/soil, no longer having any smell but like earth.

What you will need is a lot of ventilation, a floor that doesn't get compromised by constant moisture, a nice mulch fork or pitch fork for turning the night's deposits into the top layer of the litter, and a way to get some good moisture into the bottom layer of the litter so you can cap it off with dry litter and let it work its magic down there. Then you can start building a deep litter out of a variety of materials, layering it in like lasagna and not disturbing the layers any more than you have to~the chickens will do that enough the way it is~and letting nature happen.

If you smell ammonia, you either need more dry material or you need more and better ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom