Deep litter method

If you could till/plow all of it together that would help things out a lot faster.  But if time is not a factor, then do what you're doing and then just let nature take care of it.

You're right, and plowing it all together would make sense, but sadly I have limiting factors, so I am more likely to keep "stirring" rather than digging my terrible rock hard dirt. Do you think that would be okay? I've only just begun this project - probably 3 layers of mulch material on top of poo.

Last edited:
Sure! Since it isn't stinky, and there's no big disease ravaging your flock, then stirring is an option. But if you can't stir *any* dirt with the litter, then stirring is a waste of time. In that case, only nature and time will soften the earth up enough to stir.

But if you're able to mix it a little, then stirring is even better.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Y'all inspired me to get out there and take 4 more wheelbarrow loads into my largest run (24'x20') - I was able to get a bit of dirt stirred in with it, except under the coop where my rock hard dirt exists.

In my case, this year's run is last year's garden. My chooks will turn the hay all day long every clement day of the year.

Let them do that and they will accelerate the softening of the soil.

In my case, this year's run is last year's garden.  My chooks will turn the hay all day long every clement day of the year.

Let them do that and they will accelerate the softening of the soil.

It will probably take longer in my runs since my flocks are only in there to eat quick bites during the day, use nesting boxes and sleep, but I am hoping for an improvement in the soil by doing this.

This is the coop/run that I worked in today.

Here are the other two - just starting with DL with them - I really need to have it stop raining so much, so I can do some shovel work!

You're right, and plowing it all together would make sense, but sadly I have limiting factors, so I am more likely to keep "stirring" rather than digging my terrible rock hard dirt. Do you think that would be okay? I've only just begun this project - probably 3 layers of mulch material on top of poo.

I'll tell you what happens with time and deep compost....the worms and bugs make tunnels in the soil to reach that nutrient flow, breaking up the soil underneath the compost better than you could if you tilled it, it just takes a little time. Build it deep and add plenty of greens in season, browns in season, let the manure mix in naturally via chickens scratching about or you can go flip it in now and again and soon you'll be able to sink a fork into that soil underneath more easily.

I started a Back to Eden garden two garden seasons ago, which consists of placing 4-6 in. of ramial wood chips over soil...in my case it's hard pan clay....placed the wood chips in May and, by fall, could easily sink a fork into the soil underneath that composting layer of wood chips, where before I would have to stand on that fork with all my weight to get it into the soil a few inches. By the following season there were so many earthworms rising to that composting wood chip layer that it was remarkable...every forkful turned up many worms and the soil underneath is soft and easily penetrated.

No need to plow...just let nature happen and you'll soon see better drainage in your run as the rain absorbs more easily into the looser soil under your compost and your chickens will start to find many good things to eat rising into that DL.

Has anyone used the deep litter method with a small flock? I plan on having only 3 girls and have read mixed things about deep litter and a small flock. I do like the idea that the deep litter will help the coop insulate itself as I live in Alaska, but don't know much about the associated downsides to that theory either. With deep litter method requiring more ventilation, will that actually make the coop colder in the long run?

Back
Top Bottom