Deep litter method

As of this morning, I'm starting to wonder if the issue is water or if maybe the litter is too composted. Here are some pictures I took inside their run earlier today.

The girls having their morning snack. the ground looks ok-ish. Not a 'loose' as I'd prefer. Very spongy to walk on.

Close up of the unturned ground.

Here I toed the ground with my boot just enough to get to the compacted "stinky" layer...the deeper you go the ickier it gets.

Thoughts? Maybe just add a bunch of new and turn into the top layer and let that sub-layer work itself out?

As of this morning, I'm starting to wonder if the issue is water or if maybe the litter is too composted. Here are some pictures I took inside their run earlier today.

The girls having their morning snack. the ground looks ok-ish. Not a 'loose' as I'd prefer. Very spongy to walk on.

Close up of the unturned ground.

Here I toed the ground with my boot just enough to get to the compacted "stinky" layer...the deeper you go the ickier it gets.

Thoughts? Maybe just add a bunch of new and turn into the top layer and let that sub-layer work itself out?

It does look like it is pretty well composted, not much texture still showing. No matter what the issue, adding more stuff, and a variety of stuff should help.

It actually doesn't look very composted to me. Yes, it looks like it has been mechanically "broken down" into a uniform texture but it still looks like straw to me (albeit really itty, bitty bits), not humus-y yet.

That's not to say it's bad, just not done yet. It looks like the same stage as the stuff that is about 3/4 of the way down in my litter. I have a good 6 inches more "rougher" stuff on top though. That's the stuff that my birds move around so it gets aerated and dries out. I'm thinking you need to go deeper. Add more stuff and frequently enough that you always have a good cap of loose rough stuff on top for the birds to walk on. My preference again would be as much variety of material and texture as you can get so you have air gaps in the litter.

What @kusanar said... A problem with straw is that it has a waxy coating and therefore doesn't absorb well. If you layer it deep enough the top will remain dry but beneath, it will be soaked with standing moisture for just that reason (and feel spongy). Hay is little better but at least it will absorb some. The texture of what I'm seeing there is just too uniform and consistent... You need a variety of stuff in the mix to work best. Right now looking at that I'd be looking to add a substantial amount of dead leaves and twigs, bark, wood chips of some sort... something with some structure to it. It the stuff underneath the surface is stinky, then you need more carbon material.

Just a random comment - I have a few different coops, and different groups of chickens are better (or worse) at turning the litter. And I DON'T want to have to do it. So about once every week I toss BOSS over the areas to be turned. Problem solved - they dig for a long time hoping they can find one they missed. Need more turning? Do it again the next day. And they love me as "That lady that throws treats in our coop".
big_smile.png

I have a sand/PDZ area under most of the roosts and scoop poop there, and have way more poop than I "need" for my garden composting. I had someone approach me wanting to BUY chicken poop from me!!!! Instead, I worked out a swap - poop for leaves.
lau.gif

- Ant Farm

What @kusanar said... A problem with straw is that it has a waxy coating and therefore doesn't absorb well. If you layer it deep enough the top will remain dry but beneath, it will be soaked with standing moisture for just that reason (and feel spongy).

We actually have always had good results with chopped straw. But I think it works best with a good bit if soil mixed in with it--the ability to absorb moisture and odors is greatly enhanced. I have found shredded chopped straw mixed with dirt (which happens naturally on our dirt floored coop) to work very well. We even use it in the brooder. Diversity of materials really doesnt hurt tho either and is good general advice.

Last edited:
Just a random comment - I have a few different coops, and different groups of chickens are better (or worse) at turning the litter. And I DON'T want to have to do it. So about once every week I toss BOSS over the areas to be turned. Problem solved - they dig for a long time hoping they can find one they missed. Need more turning? Do it again the next day. And they love me as "That lady that throws treats in our coop". :D
- Ant Farm  

thats a great way to stir the litter! thats why they call it "scratch grain."

Hi All.

Just wanting to update on my soggy DL. I took notes on all your suggestions and headed off to various feed stores in my area. Ended up getting a few different products. I know someone mentioned that they don't like to buy litter for their coop/run but I just don't have a reliable source of clippings or leaves at my disposal and I'm a bit picky about smell and maintenance of the ick.

I bought some stall bedding that was compressed corn (cob?) pellets, some fine pine shavings (also to be used for brooder in a few weeks) and some chopped Timothy grass. All together spent less than $20 so reasonable in my book.

I went ahead and dug down a bit into the soggy stinky stuff. Threw in handfuls of the stall bedding then mixed it all up. Repeated the step 2 more times for the deeper layer. Then added the fine pine shavings. Repeated the apply-mix procedure. Lastly, I tossed a layer of the fine pine then topped with @ 4-6 inches of the chopped Timothy grass. Mixed lightly.

It's been great. Even managed a bit of rain without much fuss. The ladies are very happy also to have so much to scratch around in. I've taken to giving it a quick rake a couple times a week to keep it from getting too compacted and to turn their waste. All of the the suggestion here were invaluable. Thank you all!

(Sorry I don't have an updated pic)

One additional thing you can do is instead of stirring it yourself is utilize the free labor you have in the form of your birds. When it needs turning, scatter a cup or two of whole raw oats on the areas you want turned and let the birds do it as they furiously dig and scratch for the oats. Worst case they won't find all of it, which then becomes part of the litter or may sprout, to become part of the litter.

Back
Top Bottom