Deep litter method

Where are you located? Advice will vary a bit depending on geographic location and availability of organic materials.

I would add more and varied material to your litter. The straw available to me is oat straw (I think) and I find that it is tough and waxy and doesn't break down well. I chop it before I use it and I use it sparingly. I add dried leaves, pine shavings, cut and dried grass, and garden waste.

If you've already got a lot of straw in there you might want to remove some of it so that you are able to achieve a better balance of materials.

I'm in Southern California. The surface is hard like a clay. But underneath is moist. It had leaves, shavings and straws. But I think because of days of rain, the mud became hard like pottery when it dried. Should I remove the surface?

I'm in Southern California. The surface is hard like a clay. But underneath is moist. It had leaves, shavings and straws. But I think because of days of rain, the mud became hard like pottery when it dried. Should I remove the surface?

It sounds like the straw matted down. That's what happens when you only use one type of material. I'd probably just break it up and turn it in to the stuff underneath then I'd dump a bunch of other stuff on top and turn that in too.

Last edited:
It sounds like the straw matted down. That's what happens when you only use one type of material. I'd probably just break it up and turn it in to the stuff underneath then I'd dump a bunch of other stuff on top and turn that in too.

Yes yes the straws matted down! Ok, will do! Thank you so so much!

We don't have a lot of resources out here in the desert, so I was thinking about using a combination of mulch, wood shavings, horse bedding (?), whatever I can find at a feed store, maybe take a bale of hay and cut it into small pieces with my chain saw or hedge trimmer.

On another note, it's official (well, it was two months ago). Got my 25 Years of Service plaque, Retirement plaque, Certificate of Retirement from the Board of Supervisors and a personalized paper weight, which is very heavy.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I spent the last two weeks re-reading this thread AGAIN. Every time I read through something again, I pick up snippets overlooked/missed during the first pass.--BB

Last edited:
We don't have a lot of resources out here in the desert, so I was thinking about using a combination of mulch, wood shavings, horse bedding (?), whatever I can find at a feed store, maybe take a bale of hay and cut it into small pieces with my chain saw or hedge trimmer.

On another note, it's official (well, it was two months ago). Got my 25 Years of Service plaque, Retirement plaque, Certificate of Retirement from the Board of Supervisors and a personalized paper weight, which is very heavy.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I spent the last two weeks re-reading this thread AGAIN. Every time I read through something again, I pick up snippets overlooked/missed during the first pass.--BB

Congratulations on the award!

As for the Deep Litter, from my horticulture background, you need carbon (all of the things you mentioned purchasing) and Nitrogen (chicken poop) along with moisture and air. I personally would get a little of each item you mentioned for the different particle sizes and textures which will make for good air pockets, and maybe soak the shavings with water before adding them to add some moisture but not a ton (plus you said you are in the desert, that will dry out any excess moisture quickly).

Thanks so much, Kusanar,

Having gone through this thread for about the third time, I just wanted to use a combination of everything I could think of that would be available out here. My boss raises cattle, so she may be using different types of hay or has connections. There are some businesses in the area that have big trailers parked in front with stacked hay bales. There was even one parked next to Walmart beside their gardening section selling same. Just hoping the more variety of materials, the better, and would compost quicker than using just one, sorta like going in your pantry and fridge, grabbing a bunch of leftovers, and coming up with a new recipe. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Thanks so much, Kusanar,

Having gone through this thread for about the third time, I just wanted to use a combination of everything I could think of that would be available out here. My boss raises cattle, so she may be using different types of hay or has connections. There are some businesses in the area that have big trailers parked in front with stacked hay bales. There was even one parked next to Walmart beside their gardening section selling same. Just hoping the more variety of materials, the better, and would compost quicker than using just one, sorta like going in your pantry and fridge, grabbing a bunch of leftovers, and coming up with a new recipe. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

I would go with more wood based products than hay, but some hay would be great in it. The issue with a lot of hay is that it is long strands (which you addressed cutting into smaller pieces) and it will interlock into a thick woven mat that the chickens won't be able to turn and you will have trouble with even with a heavy duty pitchfork (believe me, I have bedded horses on hay and straw, after one night of them trampeling it you can't remove it without a LOT of work) but some (small amount, not some types) hay is good because in good conditions it can break down fairly fast and it will provide some fluff to the litter (as will the pine shavings)

Back
Top Bottom