Deep litter method

I would use pine shaving in the coop, and deep litter in the run in that setup...you can do deep litter in a coop, but IMHO it needs to be quite a bit bigger. I have a small coop and when I clean out the pine shavings etc it all goes in the run along with yard waste, shredded paper (lol) and etc!

I have a question: if I plan to do the Deep Litter Method in the coop, is it OK to use leaves? Or are leaves just for the run?

I'm leaning towards using pine shavings with the Deep Litter Method in my coop.

Thanks!

I have a question: if I plan to do the Deep Litter Method in the coop, is it OK to use leaves?  Or are leaves just for the run?

I'm leaning towards using pine shavings with the Deep Litter Method in my coop.

Thanks!

Leaves are fine but remember, moisture is needed for DLM, you may not want that in your coop.

There is a difference between Deep Litter (we have that in our run) and Deep Bedding (we have that in our coop). The Deep Litter breaks down to compost, Deep Bedding does not.

Our Deep Bedding material is pine flakes. Our Deep Litter materials are hay, straw, grass clippings, leaves, pine needles, landscape weeds, etc. plus the moisture from blowing rain/snow and poop.

Thank you, Jolly Wattles,

I just start from scratch and improvise as I go. The design just came out of the blue, starting from the center and working outward. I lean toward the cautious side and start drawing out plans to eliminate the "what if's", blah, blah etc. I may add a big umbrella about the bench and some hedges behind it. It's just a work in progress and moving like a snail. The planning is fun, just hate the labor after the final plans...LOL. --BB

I just like to draw and use available resources. These were just preliminary drawings, the coup is still being revamped.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jolly Wattles, I just start from scratch and improvise as I go. The design just came out of the blue, starting from the center and working outward. I lean toward the cautious side and start drawing out plans to eliminate the "what if's", blah, blah etc. I may add a big umbrella about the bench and some hedges behind it. It's just a work in progress and moving like a snail. The planning is fun, just hate the labor after the final plans...LOL. --BB I just like to draw and use available resources. These were just preliminary drawings, the coup is still being revamped.
looks really good. We just set lawn chairs in the run lol. The upside of that is we get to interact with the girls. Lap petting is always relaxing. Is this your first flock?

Last edited:
No chicks just yet. I tend to plan ahead. There will be room out there for a lawn chair or two when I feel like interacting. Otherwise, it might be nice to sit on my deck with a cool beverage and just throw a few goodies through the little upper door. --BB

I got a dozen week old chicks this morning. I am converting a 16x18 storage building into the coop with a 20x30 run outside using DLM in both. When I am home they will be let out to free range during the day.

My plan in the building is a window on each wall to allow for customized ventilation (Ilive in Oklahoma)

My question is: what height should I put the windows? High, low or in between?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom